Huge female flowers, tiny male

• 9 Replies

diospyros

Huge female flowers, tiny male
« on: July 11, 2014, 20:14 »
I'm asking this on behalf of someone else - he has a squash plant of some sort which has eNORmous female flowers and tiny little male ones.  The fruits have a sort of ring shaped scar where the huge flower has dropped off.  Anyone seen this before?

jaydig

Re: Huge female flowers, tiny male
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 20:54 »
It wouldn't be one of those 'Turk's Turban' type of squashes would it? The ones that look a bit like a cottage load shape. I'm sure someone on here will know, and be able to tell you exactly what it is, because I'm only guessing.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 20:56 »
Yes, I've seen that before, and some squashes do have a scar, notably Buttercup variaties

diospyros

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 21:44 »
Yes, that's like the scar, couldn't remember what the variety was called I'd seen like that.  Didn't know it went along with sexual dimorphism of the flowers though!  Thanks!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 21:54 »
I've seen some cucumbers also do the big female/small male flower thing  ::)

beesrus

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 22:07 »
It sort of reflects the female/male allotmenteer make-up on our site. There's a lot of males, but most, not all, are a little wizand.  :)
As far as squashes are concerned, butternuts are similar, but without the scar, the female flowers are where it's at, the males are titchy and two a penny. I do find it all fascinating. Probably why I like sweet corn, where both male and female shows are quite splendid.

JohnB47

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 10:38 »
I'm taking more notice of my crown prince squash this year and see that there are loads of femail flower stems and few males - all the same size flower. I'm trying that trick of transferring pollen from femail to mail using a paintbrush, cos I already have two male fruit gone yellow and dropped off (presumably from being not polinated). The problem is getting a male flower just ready at the same time as a pollen filled femail is available.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 10:57 »
I'm taking more notice of my crown prince squash this year and see that there are loads of femail flower stems and few males - all the same size flower. I'm trying that trick of transferring pollen from femail to mail using a paintbrush, cos I already have two male fruit gone yellow and dropped off (presumably from being not polinated). The problem is getting a male flower just ready at the same time as a pollen filled femail is available.

The pollen is transferred from the male to the female.
The females have the baby fruit behind the flowers.
I find it much easier to actually pick an open male flower and insert it into the female, and twiddle it around a bit - it sounds rude but does work  :nowink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 11:06 »
My father used to do that with the marrows. 

He always tore the flower petal (yellow part) off to make "the job" easier  :ohmy:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 11:09 »
I always worry that I might have picked the last male flower the plant decides to produce for a while, so use the artist's paintbrush technique (it works fine if you dampen it slightly to help the pollen stick to it, and it also amuses the hell out of my neighbours for some reason!  :unsure:  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Cucumber Flowers Male or Female

Started by sodaspop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2020, 11:25
by mumofstig
clip
Sweetcorn male/female flowers

Started by eggbowl on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 29, 2023, 07:05
by Hortic
xx
cucumbers whats the difference male /female flowers

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 14:46
by tooo many seeds
xx
Cucumbers male or female?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 20:40
by DD.

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 30 queries.