Advice on Converting Shed

• 23 Replies

hillfooter

Re: Advice on Converting Shed
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 14:01 »
Beware you don't create a Red Mite paradise.  Felt roofs and polystyrene insulation maybe a wonderful way of construction but inaccessible surfaces are perfect homes for mite.  Mite and parasites may not loom large in your plans in your enthusiasm to get stuck in but once you've got an infestation you'll forever regret not paying more attention to making your house with less nooks and crannies and easier to clean.  It's a case of decide in haste and repent at leisure.  A few hours spent at the planning stage can save many hours of work in routine cleaning and maintenance latter.

First read the advice on this site on house design and on Red Mite control.  The Stickies area should have lots.  There's a lot more to designing and building successful chicken housing than you might imagine and what looks good to you might not be ideal from your chx perspective.  Personally I'd say that buying a shed to convert isn't the best starting point unless you have selected one which is made from the right materials and is easy to convert for ease of maintenance.  Ok if you have an existing shed you can cheaply convert you might accept a few compromises but it seems you are now committed so hope you don't live to regret it.

Regards
Truth through science.

Lynda_T

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 19:11 »
Jeeezo dampen my squid eh! lol What do u have hill? 
Im planning the shed im in no hurry as my girls already have an existing coup and i take on board all the advice given since im a novice at this!  Appreciate all ur comments!!
x

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 23:09 »
Sorry to be a bit negative about your shed and I'm sure that it is possible to make chicken heaven out of one but you need to do your homework.  Personally being more traditional I prefer a purpose build house made of wood with soft wood shavings as litter to soak up the droppings and I don't like the chx to walk in it so I have a slatted floor that they walk on and the droppings fall through where the litter is and they don't have access.  I also prefer a smaller cosy house as chx keep warm at night by huddling together.  Large airy sheds aren't as warm in cold winter conditions as smaller houses.

I have four houses 3 Forsham Cottage Arks Lenhams 504 (mid size house) which is all wood and extremely well thought out.  One is 10 years old and still perfectly sound.  The 4th house is a cheap "ebay" house which I got as a broody coop or isolation house for sick individuals.  I do live in the country though with lots of space (13 acres), so my chx spend most of the time foraging in grass runs and only go in the house to lay or roost.

Regards
Barnevelders & run.jpg

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 07:26 »
Well I have a shed and I would encourage anyone else to get one. 
I can not see the correlation between red mite and roofing felt.  I have seen no scientific evidence for it, is it an old wife tale?  In a Lenhams 504 roof there are more cracks for red mite to hide rather that one sheet of wood covered by roofing felt.. The mites would have to move along way, and get from out side the coop to inside the coop. The only place I have had mites in my shed is on the perching bars which is normal.

I do not understand what you mean by keeping chickens warm at night.  Chickens are wearing a natural duvet and do not require warmth.  The are tree roosting bird and for hundreds of years have been roosting in large airy barns. 

For the price of a Forsham Cottage Ark you could get three sheds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They may not last as long but we are not as fortunate as you Hillfooter and in this financial climate not every one has the money.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 10:33 »
Mine live in the shed, they very rarely get red mite. I just paint everything with paraffin to get rid of them. I have them on deep litter and a droppings board.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

too many girls

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 10:53 »
mine live in a B&Q shed, i haven't converted it in any way, some old kitchen cupboards for nesting boxes and a disused saddle rack for perches, they seem happy in there it's easy to clean out and as yet have had no red mite.

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 11:33 »
Personally being more traditional I prefer a purpose build house made of wood with soft wood shavings as litter to soak up the droppings

............ Basically, a shed. :D

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 14:00 »
just what i was goiing to say . I found a chicken coop to be just a differently shaped overpriced shed

bexy

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 19:09 »
Meant to say that we lined our shed 2 3rds the way up all round with hardboard and the floor is covered with old lino covered with wood shavings.
We haven't had any red mite (might regret saying that now :wacko: ) and the shed will be warmer for the winter.

xx
converting shed

Started by puddleduck on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 18:33
by puddleduck
xx
converting shed

Started by Jeanette on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 12:53
by Elcie
xx
converting shed

Started by fastmonkey85 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 20:25
by karlooben
xx
converting a shed

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 07:24
by boybrown

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 38 queries.