Rebuilding the kitchen.

• 23 Replies

Lardman

Rebuilding the kitchen.
« on: February 03, 2014, 18:09 »
I'm extending the kitchen it's currently 10x8' and too small to swing a cat in.  I'll be extending into the back room and the old kitchen which gives me the equivalent of an added 20'x16' which should give me oodles of space  :D the drawback being it will need to be a dinning kitchen.

Im looking to fill the space with useful storage, I've already got a pan drawer on the list and a square sink with drainer rather than just a round bowl and a couple of drawer units to keep 'useful' things in.  I've already mucked up the design once so before I start any other must have suggestions?

allotmentann

Re: Rebuilding the kitchen.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 18:22 »
Just squeeze in as many cupboards as you possibly can, you always end up using them! And try to get the longest clear run of worktop you possibly can, it makes life so much easier than broken bits of working space all over the place.
That will be a lovely large space for cooking in. I hope there will be project photos as you go. What with the greenhouse and patio, you will be very busy!   :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 18:23 »
I've seen people making great use of these pull-out sliders in cupboards.  Particularly for those narrower widths where you can put trays away, or have tins / chutneys etc on the wire racks.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 18:59 »
What with the greenhouse and patio, you will be very busy!   :)

The patio is long done  ;) The greenhouse is built but not glazed, I'm holding off doing that until the retaining wall is built as I don't want to carry the material past the glass  ::) The retaining wall is being built from the yorkstone fire surround which was all around the rayburn - that's sitting on the patio now having been demolished over the weekend.

I'm having to work around the rayburn and a load bearing wall so the worktop run isn't as long as I'd like, Im torn between wall to ceiling cupboards and a wall / floor units - worktop arrangement.  Im also trying to work in the all important chest freezer without much luck.

I've seen people making great use of these pull-out sliders in cupboards.  Particularly for those narrower widths where you can put trays away, or have tins / chutneys etc on the wire racks.

On the list - useful for spices which are currently taking up 30% of my storage space.

Has anyone seen a neat crockery storage solution?

plum crumble

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 19:55 »
I've got crockery in drawers - so much easier than scrabbling around in the back of cupboards. Obviously they are specific heavy duty drawers for the purpose. I also have a pull-out thin wire rack which calls itself a spice rack. I actually use it to put in all the bottles such as soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, vinegars, etc etc. It really works well, and frees the wall cupboards up for bigger things like flours, tins, cereals etc. I separately have a huge corner cupboard above the work surface for all my spices - far too many for a silly little spice rack!! I buy spices in bulk from the Asian supermarkets.
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 23:16 »
Sometimes a bank of a few floor to ceiling cupboards can be very good,particularly if you have the pull outs as previously mentioned. Positioning sink,oven/hob & fridge in a triangle is usually recommended to save a long walk between them as they are the most commonly accessed equipment.we have a tamber unit which is a roll top door that comes down directly on to the work surface,then you can put your toaster etc behind it but plugged in,then just pull it out when you want to use it. Wish we'd had more. Son has had one of those water boiler taps so he doesn't have to clutter the work top with a kettle.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 05:36 »
You can't beat drawing it up and having a list of all the things you need to get in there, and don't forget all the surface stuff like toasters, kettles, microwaves - we recently bought a taller fridge freezer which meant that the microwave could no longer stand on top of it as Mrs Cadalot being short could not reach it anymore.  :nowink:

Now we have the microwave on a work surface which dramatically reduced the surface space and is a real pain in the rear end.

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 06:52 »
Yes, I think Cadalot is right. Getting something wrong irritates you every day until the next time you do the kitchen!  :ohmy: Some things (like load bearing walls) have to be worked around and compromises found, but if it is something a little extra thought would have prevented it grates far more!
I have a double bank of wall cupboards, the top ones I can't reach without climbing on a chair! But I did know that would be the case, and I use them to store all those things that I wouldn't be without, but rarely use. I have never regretted having them. It makes life so much easier if everything is not crammed together.
Of course, ideally I would be taller, but I had to compromise!  :nowink:

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 19:10 »
With me it is drawers rather than doors for all base units except the sink.
A sink big enough to fit a large frying pan in completely !

Wickes Calgary pull out larders are great if you can get 1or 2 in !

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 19:16 »
I've got one of those carousel things to keep my pans in the awkward corner cupboard. It does mean a little less space in that cupboard, but it also means I can swing round the pan I want rather than cursing and lifting everything out.

Other than that and building a walk-in shelved cupboard I made a complete hash of my kitchen. Next time will be better.  :dry:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 19:59 »
Kitchens are very personal to the way you like to work and cook.
Definitely the triangle for the sink, cooker and hob.

And I went for loads of work top. I wish I had had room for a double sink, the one with a drainer on each side.

I am not fond of the pull out jobbies for corner cabinets or larder units as I find they are the first to get broken, so I prefer simple cupboards that I can organise to my liking.

I also find that wall cupboards never have enough shelves and so OH  put extra shelves in ours.

If you can get wall cupboards that go to the ceiling they are great not just for storage but to stop the dust and grot accumulating on the top of the cupboards.

As for spices I find the best way I have ever come up with for storing is in glass jars with the labels on the lids and then keep them all in a kitchen drawer. Then you can pull out the jars you need.

Have you thought of getting a kitchen designer from one of the big stores to come in and do you a plan? I found that very helpful as they are free and can do you several different ones. ;)

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 21:03 »

How much !!  :ohmy: Surely the decimal point is in the wrong place.

I take your point about the drawers and spices Mrs Bee, although like Plum I buy in bulk and store them in the big Douwe Egberts jars it would have to be a deep drawer.  I may ask an instore designer but as I haven't finished the plastering yet I don't have accurate measurements, I don't expect "just imagine that wall isn't there" would make their life easy either  ;)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 22:13 »
Quotes are great for a 'potential' layout as they can give you a good idea of the best way to organise things (unless you have s/w to do that  ;)).  Soft closers, carousel space and extra wide work surface for pastry are good.  A double sink is always useful but so are the half sinks with a disposal unit.  I was very lucky in that the fellow that came to quote for mine was wanting to leave the family business.  It very much depends on how you cook Lardy. I have a Rangemaster but I'm fairly dribbling over a new microwave since the latest one 'took ill' and it roasted a chicken to perfection in 30 mins...
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 22:51 »

How much !!  :ohmy: Surely the decimal point is in the wrong place

You have to buy them in the sales ! :lol:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 18:06 »

How much !!  :ohmy: Surely the decimal point is in the wrong place.

I take your point about the drawers and spices Mrs Bee, although like Plum I buy in bulk and store them in the big Douwe Egberts jars it would have to be a deep drawer.  I may ask an instore designer but as I haven't finished the plastering yet I don't have accurate measurements, I don't expect "just imagine that wall isn't there" would make their life easy either  ;)

I buy my spices in quite large quantities too, but keep usable amounts in the jars in the drawers and the rest I seal in the packets with cling film to keep them fresh and store them in a dark cupboard.

It keeps the spices fresher and stops the whole packet getting contaminated by damp spoons etc. ;)

xx
I've got a kitchen aid!!

Started by RJR_38 on Kitchen Natter

23 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 18:01
by RJR_38
xx
Kitchen clear out

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

12 Replies
Last post January 08, 2014, 17:42
by Willow_Warren
xx
kitchen tongs

Started by Steveharford on Kitchen Natter

2 Replies
Last post September 06, 2014, 17:06
by Mrs Bee
clip
and she does a lap of honour round the kitchen!

Started by Mrs Bee on Kitchen Natter

22 Replies
Last post May 29, 2014, 21:13
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 37 queries.