dizzylizzie

Re: how long do eggs last
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 09:50 »
hi, you will find everything you need to know here
http://egginfo.co.uk/page/home   :D

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 15:21 »
Many years ago I had a shop and the eggs I bought from the wholesalers had a 12 week shelf life. I was horrified when I realised how old some of the eggs we buy in shops potentially are!

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 01:55 »
Many years ago I had a shop and the eggs I bought from the wholesalers had a 12 week shelf life. I was horrified when I realised how old some of the eggs we buy in shops potentially are!

It doesn't leave you feeling eggsactly confident does it!  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Poolfield2

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 08:48 »
When my girls are hiding their eggs, I often find a clutch that I dn't know how old they are. I can't bare to throw them away so I float test them first and all those that sink are used. Of the floaters, I crack them individually and if they are off believe me you know about it and if they smell ok, I use them only in dishes where they get thoroughly cooked.

Obviously I would never give them to people in an at risk group, children, elderly, pregnant.....

Paul Plots

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 11:26 »
When my girls are hiding their eggs, I often find a clutch that I dn't know how old they are. I can't bare to throw them away so I float test them first and all those that sink are used. Of the floaters, I crack them individually and if they are off believe me you know about it and if they smell ok, I use them only in dishes where they get thoroughly cooked.

Obviously I would never give them to people in an at risk group, children, elderly, pregnant.....

This makes a great deal of sense and is just what my family did long ago in the dark ages even before the little red lion appeared magically on shop bought eggs.  ;)

hillfooter

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 04:33 »
The use by date is 28days from lay and eggs are recommended to be kept in their boxes in a fridge.

There's no simple way of determining the exact point in time when an egg is "off" as it depends on the bacterial content which is effected by many factors including, the health of the hen, how clean was it when laid and how porous was the shell, how sanitary have the conditions been since lay, how much have the bacteria multiplied since lay which depends on time in storage and temperature of storage.  The 28 days rule of thumb is what is considered a safe period for a clean egg stored in a sanitary way below 20 degC.  Given clean initial condition and good low temperature storage they can last much longer than this but I'd only use them thoroughly cooked for example in baking and then not if they floated or were over 8 weeks.  Eggs which float in water have a large air sac content and are likely not to be fresh.

Heavily soiled eggs or any with cracks should be discarded.  Lightly soiled eggs should not be washed though dry wiping or brushing lightly is ok, should be used as soon as possible and with in 4 days and stored in the fridge.

It's not easily possible to determine how contaminated with bacteria an egg can be before it might cause you a health risk.  It depends on how effectively it's cooked and how fit and healthy you are,  A rule of thumb is, very young children, pregnant women, the elderly or people suffering from an illness or any health risk group should only be given fresh, well cooked eggs ie not foods made with raw eggs or with runny yolks.

Regards
HF

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 05:06 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 15:06 »
apparently isinglass isn't available anymore, like you say, probably dangerous.

it is apparently safe and you can buy it from some chemists. At the musuem I work at (Kent Battle of Britain Museum which of for those who might not know is all 1940), I have done a Dig for Victory garden which includes chickens (of course!), we have an original lidded pot used for this purpose!  "During the war..." eggs were preserved in several ways but I have also heard that eggs can be kept up to 9 months!! I personally haven't kept eggs for that long though!! :D

hillfooter

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 17:41 »

it is apparently safe and you can buy it from some chemists. At the musuem I work at (Kent Battle of Britain Museum which of for those who might not know is all 1940), I have done a Dig for Victory garden which includes chickens (of course!), we have an original lidded pot used for this purpose!  "During the war..." eggs were preserved in several ways but I have also heard that eggs can be kept up to 9 months!! I personally haven't kept eggs for that long though!! :D

Hi Chookster,
I'm interested to hear you work at the Battle of Britain Museum as I've done a little internet research on the role of chx in the war and particularly the dig for Victory campaign which served to introduce chicken keeping to the masses as well as encourage allotment keeping.  I'm particularly interested in the advice given to chicken keepers and would dearly like to get hold of a copy of the leaflets I believe the government issued about chicken keeping as I'd like to see if there are practises that have survived through to today.  I believe chicken keeping was encourage and people were actually issued with special ration allowances for keeping them in exchange for supplying eggs.  There were expert keeps who were encouraged to breed layers for use on allotments or in the kitchen garden and these people were given additional allowances to produce the poultry.

I'm sure it would make some fascinating research.  If you know of any source material I'd be very interested to hear.

Regards
HF

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 20:37 »

I was born just a few years after the war... my parents kept the chickens in London to help off-set rationing of food. At the age of 5 it was my job to dip the eggs and place them on a drying rack. Not the most eggsighting job for a 5 year old!  ???

hellebore

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 23:19 »
I use isinglass for clearing my wine, but only when it is difficult to clear------Fred

I thought it was waterglass that was used for preserving eggs and the isinglass is something entirely different :)

hillfooter

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 00:08 »
I use isinglass for clearing my wine, but only when it is difficult to clear------Fred

I thought it was waterglass that was used for preserving eggs and the isinglass is something entirely different :)

Well I thought isinglass was what Surreys with a fringe on top had for windows that you could roll right down in case of a change in the weather.  At least that's what isinglass was used for in Oklahoma according to Rogers & Hammerstein. :wacko:

HF

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2009, 17:58 »

[/quote]

Hi Chookster,
I'm interested to hear you work at the Battle of Britain Museum as I've done a little internet research on the role of chx in the war and particularly the dig for Victory campaign...
[/quote]

Well it would be fab if you ever make it down to the museum - it's only open from Good Friday til end of sept / oct though so do check in advance before making a journey - it's also closed on a monday unless bank holiday. 

Anyway... for those interested ( I will try not to bore others!)... waterglass is a strong solution of silicate and soda.  You must dilute with water to the right ratio as well. 

There are two ways of preserving eggs with waterglass...

the first is to dip the eggs in the solution and wipe dry - this will keep them for a few weeks.  But far better use is to dilute as per instructions (I think it had to be first clean, boiling/boiled  water) and use this solution in a special pail fitted with a wire basket.  Sufficient solution must be used to cover the eggs.  Eggs should be laid carefully in the basket in the pail and filled to a third with the waterglass solution.  Lower the basket carefully and if necessary fill to cover the eggs.  Of course any cracked eggs should be removed and used straight away.

If a basket wasn't available, use a pail - carefully put a layer of eggs in the bottom, cover, and continue until the pail is full.

Freshly laid eggs could be kept quite fresh for at least 6 months.  Apparently even after 12 months they were eaten to no ill effects!  So there you go! It's really about stopping anything going through the pores, eg air, bacteria etc.

So do you think quail eggs could be used at extended time scales like this? After all, this is part of the reason we're not allowed to personally sell eggs to restaurants and pubs etc... hmmmmm 8)

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 18:00 »
The eggs for sale in the supermarket as fresh can legally be up to 21 days old. I suspect that they can last for quite a bit longer than that.

... I thought they were all about 3 weeks old when they reached the supermarket??

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 18:02 »
Mine don't go in the fridge, they stay on the kitchen windowsill.  I aim for about 3 weeks in my head, but we never get that far anyway before they are all eaten or pickled!

;)yep, I think I pretty much do the same :)

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 18:05 »

Wow - I don't suppose you have a photo at all of you doing this as a child do you? I know people took photos far less then than now but you never know.   :)

xx
How long for eggs?

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 03, 2010, 14:11
by stan deakin
xx
How long can a hen sit on eggs?

Started by barneyowl on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 04, 2007, 14:36
by barneyowl
xx
How Long Can You Keep Eggs For

Started by peter rooster on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 00:01
by peter rooster
xx
How long to keep eggs ?

Started by Andy999 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 13:06
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 36 queries.