hi can somebody give me a good recipe for blueberry wine

• 10 Replies

bigsprouts

• Experienced Member
hi am growing blueberry bushes this season and would like to make some wine or beer from them has anybody got recipe for this please? 8)

hotterotter

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 14:26 »
I don't have a recipe but an Icelandic friend of mine once gave me some of his blueberry and lupin wine, it was really nice.

jcrocket

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 15:03 »
Hello--
Since I'm not in the UK, just a gringo hanging out in the Appalachians in Pennsylvania, I'll make a quick post them fade back out. I have made a blueberry mead which has turned out quite nicely. Down to the last two bottles and my wife has placed a hold on them!

Here's what I used for 5 gallons (US):

15 pounds blueberries (the more the fruitier)
lager yeast
1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
15 pounds honey--the more the sweeter (I keep bees)
campden tablets
3 handfuls of raisins
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons Irish Breakfast tea

Mix all above ingredients EXCEPT YEAST. Let sit for 24 hours.
Make yeast starter pitch it the next day.

In three days the fermentation was going well. After a week I transferred
to a carboy (demijohn as you folks call them) and topped it off with 50/50 water honey mixture.

Bottle when clear and drink when it's to your taste.

I use lager yeast rather than wine or ale because it usually ferments at a lower temperature. Some even as low as 48 degrees F. This helps here in a log cabin where we have no central heating, only a fireplace and a woodburning stove. If you can keep the temperature up to around 68 or 70 F you can use ale yeast and it will ferment out faster at a lower alcohol content.

Hope this helps some!

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 15:16 »
why fade out ,,,,,,, ur welcome to stay n have a budd bud :wink:
still alive /............

jcrocket

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 16:30 »
I just didn't know how exclusive this site might be. I came here while searching for approaches to cider making. Since fermented cider is more popular over there, I put "UK" in my google search. So here I am!

WG.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 16:33 »
Stay with us JC - we've got members from all over the world (including others from PA itself).

New ideas on intoxicating liquids are particularly welcome.  :wink:

I've got a business client in Scranton, PA - how far away from you is that?

jcrocket

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 19:52 »
Scranton is the other side of the state from me. I'm down in the Southwesternmost corner. Not much here besides cows, sheep, and hillbillies. I should probably take up moonshining. Long tradition of it here. The so called "Whiskey Rebellion" started here when George Washington wanted to tax whiskey and the local inhabitants took exception since whiskey wasn't just whiskey, it also served in many cases as legal tender. Thus, locally fermented beverages are a traditional activity of mountain rebels.

Right now I'm doing cider. Went to a local orchard and came back with 7 bushels of apples. Wife made applesauce. I made 5 gallons of cider and we still have 3 and 3/4 bushels left. Looks like more cider to me!

But I also have a couple of meads going. A nice maple mead using maple syrup from trees we tapped on the premises and honey from the hives, and a mixed fruit mead made of whatever leftover fruit I found in the freezer: wild black raspberries we gathered, some left over blueberries, currents--black and red-- some ground cherries and a few berries of uncertain provenance. Smells and looks lovely. Bubbling away behind me as I type.

So where are you over there? Don't mean to drift too far off topic. What bring you to this group?

WG.

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 20:05 »
Quote from: "jcrocket"
So where are you over there?
We have a lot in common since I am also in the heart of whisky (no 'e' in our version) country.  Glenfiddich (7 miles), Macallan (10 miles), Chivas Regal (9 miles), Balvenie (7 miles) and dozens of others.  And believe me, whisky is still legal tender in my book!

What bring you to this group?
Sentenced to two years Community Service project as punishment for illegal distilling!  Almost half-way through now, phew!  The judge thought all these poor folks needed some help.  :wink:  :lol:

WG.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 20:18 »
fermented cider is more popular over there
Search for posts by David. or bodger since they are both really in to cider making.

In fact bodger is in upstate New York this week - Syracuse.  Doubtless sampling a few local beverages.

David.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 15:11 »
Quote from: "WG."
Search for posts by David. or bodger since they are both really in to cider making

Expect to press my 100th gallon of apple juice this year tomorrow! (I still have 200lbs of windfalls on the patio awaiting attention.)

I find blueberries rather strong on their own, so would mix with apple juice (max 50%) together blackcurrants (can always use blackcurrant cordial), cranberries (can always use carton juice),raspberries and strawberries (can always use strawberry and/or raspberry jam), rather than on their own own.

jcrocket

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 19:43 »
Quote from: "WG."
fermented cider is more popular over there
Search for posts by David. or bodger since they are both really in to cider making.

In fact bodger is in upstate New York this week - Syracuse.  Doubtless sampling a few local beverages.

Yes. Some good wines up there I'm told.

So you're in the Highlands! Lucky dog. Only been to Edinburgh, and that was for New Years. What a street party. I really had to admire those manly Scots strolling about in their kilts freezing temps.

And yes also to Glenfiddich. That was our drink of choice when I was in college many, many years ago.

xx
recipe for pea pod wine please?

Started by poppie on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 20:53
by Jay Dubya
xx
wine made from jam recipe

Started by Fredjones on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 20:47
by DD.
xx
Rhubarb Wine Recipe

Started by Ladyrose56 on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 21:07
by Ozwytch
xx
Recipe for Beetroot wine

Started by North Devon Dumpling on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 21:13
by crazypeanut

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 38 queries.