Fertile Duck Egg's

• 10 Replies

Lakisha354

Fertile Duck Egg's
« on: June 16, 2009, 18:55 »
Can any one help me, is there a way to tell if my ducks are on fertile eggs, they have been there for 4 weeks saturday just gone, today they kicked out one egg and broke it, there was a live duck in it but sadly didnt survive, Now got my doubts aout the others they are sitting on.

Thanks Shelley

Foxy

Re: Fertile Duck Egg's
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 18:58 »
Do you know what sort of ducks eggs she is sitting on? some take a bit longer than others. :)
Did the duckling look about ready to hatch? You could candle when she is not on them and see if you can see movement inside the egg.

Vember

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 19:02 »
If there was a duckling in the one thrown out then the chances are there are ducklings in the others :)

Did the duck start sitting straight away or was she on and off them a bit to begin with? If she was on and off a bit to begin with then they won't have started to develop straight away so may arrive later than you think.

As to finding one out of the nest, she may not have kicked it out, what I have found is if the side's of the nest aren't high enough as the duckling starts to move within the egg they can wobble out :(

Sarah :)

Lakisha354

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 19:02 »
They are muscovy duck's, I tried candeling them a few days ago and culdnt see anything, I found nothing in any egg, but today I found out there was.

Thanks

Shelley

Lakisha354

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 19:09 »
Sarah

There wa some doubt as to when she could have started sitting, I will try and explain.

There is 2 girls and they took it in turns sitting on 2 eggs from the start they were never off them for longer than maybe 10mins at a time.

Then when one was out side having a wash the male duck jumped on her and frightened her, she dropped another egg in the water, so I picked it up and put it with the other 2, this was I think about a week later.

So i'm thinking this might have been the last egg to be layed, hence not so developed.

This is my first lot of babies so I dont have a clue what to expect.

Hope this is a little clearer.

Thanks

Shelley

Vember

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 19:20 »
I'm understand, I had a devil of a job trying to work our when to expect Titch's :D

If they were under 4 weeks Saturday then I would imagine they are getting themselves ready now as they do take longer to hatch :)

Have a listen at an egg if possible if they have internally pipped then you should be able to hear scraping, or as Foxy said you could candle again look for movement around the top of the air cell you should be able to see feet, head or body pushing against it as they move :)

The duck knows best and sometimes it is best to leave them to it, more likely to get a good hatch with her than you would in an incy :)

Sarah :D

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 19:49 »
I think muscovies take 35 days???? Might be wrong! :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 19:52 »
I thought that too but never had them myself.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Vember

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 20:07 »
I'd got 32 in my head ???

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 20:15 »
The bible says 33-35 days.

Vember

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 20:16 »
Now thats never wrong :D

Personally I think best plan with them being under a broody is leave her to it, she knows what she's doing (that's what I keep telling myself tonight :lol:)

Sarah  :)

xx
Looking for fertile duck eggs

Started by Iona Laing on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 08, 2021, 01:01
by John
question
If an egg is fertile?

Started by chicken george25 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 08:11
by bood77
xx
Eggs still fertile?

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 19:13
by maggiem
xx
fertile eggs

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 09:56
by sussexchook

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 39 queries.