Chicken coop

• 24 Replies

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Chicken coop
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 13:45 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
Very optimistic on chicken numbers and not much head room for the birds in the coop.

Why not have a bash at making your own ? Get all the pictures and glossy catalogues that there are and then pinch the design that you fancy

I have had my chickens nearly 2 years now and like you was unsure what I wanted.  So like Bodger has suggested I read an awful lot about coops sizes etc decided what would be the best for me.  Hubby made my first coop out of marine ply that was going to get thrown out from his work place.  Apart from the perches and the run my first coop cost very little to make.  Why don't you give it a try?

Saying that I have been looking at the omlete cube and thought it looked ok have you got one Aunt Sally?
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chicken coop
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 14:01 »
Quote from: "chicken soup"
Saying that I have been looking at the omlete cube and thought it looked ok have you got one Aunt Sally?

I wish I had CS and I would have if I had just a little bit more space in the garden.  I just have the standard Mark II eglu (it's brilliant).  

Anyone can go and visit someone near them who has an Eglu or Cube,  just drop Barbara an e-mail and she'll arrange it.

barbara@omlet.co.uk

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Chicken coop
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 14:39 »
The cube looks much better than the original eglu to me especially when cleaning it out as its raised a bit like my home made coop.  I will have to keep my eyes open maybe one day a cube will come up for sale that isnt so pricey.  :D

wildeone

Chicken coop
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 14:45 »
Quote from: "chicken soup"
The cube looks much better than the original eglu to me especially when cleaning it out as its raised a bit like my home made coop.  I will have to keep my eyes open maybe one day a cube will come up for sale that isnt so pricey.  :D
We both agree that the eglu would be the ideal way to go but it is sooooooooo expensive that we'll have to save for a year to buy it!  :roll:   Tried "nd hand on ebay but they're still £260 ...... ouch  :cry:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chicken coop
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 15:06 »
Quote from: "wildeone"
We both agree that the eglu would be the ideal way to go but it is sooooooooo expensive  .....on ebay but they're still £260 ...... ouch  :cry:

That is a big advantage in one way.  They really hold their value unlike a wooden one.  I guess because they are virtually indestructible and totally hygienic.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Chicken coop
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 15:07 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
We both agree that the eglu would be the ideal way to go but it is sooooooooo expensive  .....on ebay but they're still £260 ...... ouch  :cry:

That is a big advantage in one way.  They really hold their value unlike a wooden one.  I guess because they are virtually indestructible and totally hygienic.

here we go again :D

Selkie

Chicken coop
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 15:23 »

Try and see it as an investment?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chicken coop
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 15:46 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"

here we go again :D

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Chicken coop
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2008, 16:00 »
Quote from:
oh yeah I know you aren't :) thats the problem with e-bay you just don't know what they are actually like from the photos.. I was lucky but still wasn't as great as they made out.. had to do a few modifications to make it fox proof as well..[/quote

Well you all know mine wasn't as the fox got in and ate Crunchie and Twirl, it needs quite a few modifications and when OH put it together when it arrived he had to change the size of screws etc as they were totally inadequate.

wildeone

Chicken coop
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 19:04 »
Maybe i'l start a penny jar ...... all good things etc etc  :roll:  :wink:

xx
Chicken Coop?

Started by 3mmett29 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 22:19
by GrannieAnnie
xx
chicken coop

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 15:22
by Beano
question
DIY Chicken Coop

Started by Muckytyke on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 19:55
by birmancats
xx
Chicken coop?

Started by 3mmett29 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 09:11
by shiatsusu

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 35 queries.