Bitter home brewing

• 5 Replies

n.b83

Bitter home brewing
« on: June 25, 2009, 19:12 »
Hi There Everyone,

I got a Home brewing kit from wilkos for farthersday which makes 40 pints of bitter.
It say I need a pressure barrel to store it in.
Do I need to inject the bitter with co2 or do I just add it to the barrel when its ready?

Thanks Neil
Neil Begbie
has just taken tenancy of 506 sq meter allotment

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
Re: Bitter home brewing
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 19:37 »
You will be OK with plastic bottles to be honest. T here will be a few issues.  Flatter and cloudier beer  than you are used to for one. Depends if your going to brew to save a fortune or to have fun etc.  If save money then try it without. If you enjoy a beer and can afford a few more quid then gradually add to your equipment as the need arises.

I just got a barrel  with a Co2 canister for my cider making at 34 quid. It isn't because I disliked the less fizzy cider. Its because theres sediment at the bottom of each 2 litre bottle so you have to pour carefully and lose the bottom 2 cm. Having a barrel avoids those issues. I don't know how it compares with bitter brewing though.

It depends how you like your beer. Real ale or fizzy commercial stuff.

My Blog (updated 18/7/09)

The Norfolk Turkey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 20:28 »
I had a go at brewing my own bitter a LONG time ago, because a mate had done the same (Woodefordes) with impressive results (both quantity and quality!!). I bottled it, it was ok (possibly cos it was essentially free?!) and his was in a pressurised barrel, it wasnt fizzy, but it certainly lifted the flavour and possibly would have kept it slightly fresher (given the chance!).

Im thinking of investing in a new kit, lost the old one when I moved, is the wilco one good?

n.b83

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 21:19 »
The wilko one comes with everything you need to start. It makes 80 pints altogether, so for £20 its a bargin.

pushrod

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 23:23 »
I had a go at brewing my own bitter a LONG time ago, because a mate had done the same (Woodefordes) with impressive results (both quantity and quality!!). I bottled it, it was ok (possibly cos it was essentially free?!) and his was in a pressurised barrel, it wasnt fizzy, but it certainly lifted the flavour and possibly would have kept it slightly fresher (given the chance!).

Im thinking of investing in a new kit, lost the old one when I moved, is the wilco one good?

Wilko do sell a woodfordes wherry home brew for £14.99 which is more expensive than most but i can definitely recommend it  :D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 23:26 by pushrod »
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 20:48 »
Hi, when you put your beer in the barrel add 3oz. sugar to prime the barrel the pressure will last.

xx
first time home brewing cider :-)

Started by steve chip on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post September 09, 2015, 22:09
by steve chip
xx
Home brew bitter kit

Started by EastBelfastMark on Homebrew

12 Replies
Last post February 07, 2013, 14:18
by chris172
xx
What's brewing

Started by Baldy on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2015, 00:32
by fallen angel
xx
new to brewing

Started by sizer247 on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 20:41
by Silkworm

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 38 queries.