GROWING AUBERGINES

• 8 Replies

mickjoe84

GROWING AUBERGINES
« on: April 03, 2008, 19:57 »
I HAVE ONLY HAD MY ALLOTMENT AT KIDBROOKE FOR ONE YEAR AND HAD SOME DISASTERS BUT ALSO SOME SUCESSES IVE JUST BUILT A GREENHOUSE OUT OF CLEAR CORRUGATED PLASTIC AND WAS THINKINK ABOUT GROWING AUBERGINES ANYONE GOT ANY GOOD TIPS?

• Experienced Member
GROWING AUBERGINES
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 20:09 »
I would love to know more about growing aubergines.  My main concern is I don't have much room and from what I have read you only get a few fruits per plant.

nobby

• Experienced Member
GROWING AUBERGINES
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 20:13 »
think you grow them like toms  :?

Oliveview

GROWING AUBERGINES
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 20:25 »
I grew aubergines last year, had a good crop off the plants :D  The plants grew to about 2 foot high and bushed out like a tom plant.  They were so easy to grow- no bother at all.  We have very sandy soil.
Pamela (in Spain)

Cazzy

GROWING AUBERGINES
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 00:29 »
I've sown some aubergine seed but don't know much about growing them so i'll be keeping my eye on this thread.  

The only thing I remember reading about them was that they needed a higher temp than peppers etc for germination, sorry thats a bit vague but the info I have on them is down in the greenhouse.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Alex 98

Aubergines
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 08:45 »
Ours got the bight last year but I've had success in previous years. Best in a greenhouse :) Never grown them from seed though, always bought plants :D Treat them just like toms
Alex 98
Alfie's Grandad

purplebean

GROWING AUBERGINES
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 08:56 »
Quote from: "Cazzy"
I've sown some aubergine seed but don't know much about growing them so i'll be keeping my eye on this thread.  

The only thing I remember reading about them was that they needed a higher temp than peppers etc for germination, sorry thats a bit vague but the info I have on them is down in the greenhouse.

Not sure about that, I have aubergines and peppers in a heated propagator and all of the aubergines came through first, some of the peppers were only two days behind and others haven't shown yet

fivespud364

• www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk
GROWING AUBERGINES
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 09:00 »
treat them pretty much the same way as tomato plants plant in rich well manured soil or a good growbag and feed regularly with tomato feed or liquid comfrey much the same way as you would tomatos about every 10-12 days once the fruits are set. i have grown them successfully on a patio in Buckinghamshire  but further north they will need to be in a greenhouse.

The growing plants will need watering regularly and its advised to take the tip out once they are approx 18" high to make them bush out and they may need staking if their are several flowers on one stem its advised to remove all but the largest after they have set. If it is one of the large fruiting varieties its recommended to only allow 4 fruits per plant and once these have set remove all side shoots
Everyone should grow their own veg and know where their food is coming from even if it is only a one pot on a patio or balcony Grow Something!!

compostqueen

GROWING AUBERGINES
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 10:12 »
i grow them with various success. Had good results with Bonica and Diamond but out of the two the Bonica was best. These were grown out on the plot in a lidless glass box made of four old window frames. They grow fairly large so I took the lid off.   They weren't prolific but the fruits were lovely.  This year I'm doing a bigger selection but again out on the plot.  The ones in my greenhouse did * all  :?   Lovely plants but not one fruit

clip
Growing Aubergines

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 07, 2021, 21:08
by jezza
xx
Growing Aubergines

Started by sentoholistics on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 17, 2008, 21:45
by gobs
xx
Growing aubergines outdoors?

Started by BarefootDancer on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 12:49
by BarefootDancer
xx
Growing Aubergines in pots

Started by simbamara on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2015, 22:09
by simbamara

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 37 queries.