Pickled chillies

• 6 Replies

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
Pickled chillies
« on: August 04, 2014, 06:27 »
Good morning one and all:)  Does anyone have a recipe for pickled/preserved chillies (apart from drying them).  My plants are doing rather well in pots in front of our house and have loads of little fruits on them.
Now what shall I do today?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Pickled chillies
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 06:32 »
I freeze ours - either bunged in whole or chopped into bits and mixed with a bit of water in ice cube trays. The chillies and ice cubes are triple bagged to avoid freezer bite.

If you do the ice cube thing, don't use it for normal ice cubes again unless you like your drinks to have a chilli tang!  :)

Steveharford

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 06:34 »
A few ideas here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1658426     I am going to try the simplist as described in post no9.

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 06:49 »
My recipe is quite simple. Wear disposable gloves when preparing and take care not to touch eyes.  :D Wash the chillies and prick with a knife - this enables the vinegar mixture to penetrate the chillies. For each pint of vinegar add a half teaspoon of salt and a good grinding of pepper. Add sugar to taste. Place the peppers in clean jars, bring the vinegar mixture to the boil, let cool slightly, cover the peppers and seal. They keep for ages. I do not eat pickled peppers but my sister told me that they were lovely.

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 06:59 »
Thanks guys/gals.  My OH loves HEAT!  The hotter the better.  He buys chilli sauces with names like "Colon Blow", "Widow Maker" & "Death Sauces"  Madness I say :nowink:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 08:57 »
If he's not teetotal, have you tried infusing vodka with some of the hotter chillies you're growing?

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 09:50 »
Done like this  http://www.food.com/recipe/pickled-jalapeno-peppers-108201 they make fine fodder for pizza or sandwich toppings.  :tongue2:

If he's not teetotal, have you tried infusing vodka with some of the hotter chillies you're growing?

You'll need to dry the peppers first doing that - and the vodka takes the heat really well so it doesn't need a really hot pepper otherwise it will be undrinkable  :ohmy:

xx
Well pickled ...

Started by wellingtons on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post November 13, 2006, 13:44
by muntjac
xx
pickled beetroot

Started by gypsy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 17:03
by gypsy
question
pickled walnuts

Started by wackyjacky on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 14:14
by Aunt Sally
xx
Pickled Garlic

Started by Tattyanne456 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 14:37
by Elcie

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 36 queries.