Im getting chickens!!!!!

• 8 Replies

Runnerbean

Im getting chickens!!!!!
« on: February 24, 2009, 20:18 »
After getting my allotment last year, (right next to the poultry plots!)  and making friends with a couple of chicken keepers i have wanted them myself. I put my name down on the waiting list for a poultry plot and one has just become available and i have now got it!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
It needs a fair bit of work before i would put any chickens in, mainly to the perimiter fencing but it does come with two solid sheds/coops, :) :) :) the smallest being 6'x4'.
It is divided into two sections with a shed/coop in each and my plan is to let them spend a couple of weeks in one side and coop and then move them over to the other side and coop etc.  Would the chickens be happy about moving coops every couple of weeks or are they not fussy about where they sleep? I could rearrange the fencing so they stay in one coop and have two pens but am thinking that by changing them about every couple of weeks it would give the grass a chance to regrow and give me plenty of time to clean the coops.
Also any tips on fencing would be much appreciated, and where is the best place to get chicken wire from?  B&Q want a fortune and the amount i need would bankrupt a small country at their prices!!!
Sorry, one last question, (for tonight anyway!) how many average sized chickens can i keep in a 6'x4' shed?
I want to get things right so will be asking a lot of questions over the next few weeks, as i want my girls to be in a happy and safe place.

Craig.

Finally got the space, now just nead the girls!!

karlooben

Re: Im getting chickens!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 20:22 »
well done i am so happy for you  :D :D :D. you'll love keeping the chickens . i had 23  in a 6'4 shed then i added a smaller wall shed which they used maining for laying in an once the nest boxes were built they all decided to sleep in them .

now i have 18 girls in a 8'6 shed  an they love it .

as for the main fencing why not try ebay i brought 3 rolls of metre wire for runs and i think with postage i paid about £70- £85 .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Runnerbean

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 20:49 »
We are all sooo exited, especially my four year old daughter!
Didn't think of ebay for chicken wire, going to have a look now.
On average how many eggs do you get a week from your 18 girls?

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 16:06 »
I just bought 10m of 25mm wire mesh (1m high) from wicks for a tenner - cheapest I've found so far. Then I bought wooden tree stakes/posts for £2.50 each

karlooben

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 16:57 »
at the mo i am getting 10 - 12 eggs per day sometimes i have  had 14 eggs which means i have that are not laying  but as they are all in together its very hard to tell who isnt laying .

i've got a nice long list of customers that take them fresh daily or the next day an i am looking at  maybe building a second run an house if the council give me premission .. as my mum wants to rescue 5 or 6 more ex batts but in time they will go in with the other girls , then the other run will be kept for quarantine only.

treacleminer

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 17:12 »
WCF country centre in Claughton may sell wire -don't know how much it costs there though but as a farmer's supply may be reasonable - they sell some poultry stuff too :D

Runnerbean

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 18:38 »
Thanks Treacleminer, i will go and have a look at the weekend. I didn't know they were there.  Could be dangerous though, i can't go into places like that without coming out with all sorts of things! :) :) :)

millymolymandy

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 18:45 »
It's definitely dangerous :D :D :D I've been there, they have a garden section and a horsey section along with drinkers & feeders. I think you may get cheaper wire from eBay though :unsure: but it's worth checking out.
would have been enough for a crumble!

Fran

Runnerbean

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 19:36 »
Thanks for the warning!!!  Regarding the wire, i know that smaller holes would be better but could i use 50mm wire?  The difference in price between 50mm and 25mm is huge, and i do need a huge amount of it!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
New Chickens

Started by Green man on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 31, 2008, 22:38
by Fat Hen

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 39 queries.