Tall order in short order

• 5 Replies

Snoop

Tall order in short order
« on: April 03, 2010, 15:00 »
Have just heard that a whole heap of friends and their kids will be visiting in five weeks. The kids are aged seven and under. They all like mucking around in the dirt here and planting things. I can find lots of enjoyable things to do on the planting side, but it would be nice if I also had something we could pick that they would enjoy eating.

I've had a look round the plot and the only thing I can be sure of having (relatively sure, anyway) is some peas but even in my wildest dreams I'd never have enough to feed eight kids and at least a dozen adults.

I've just put a load of radishes in, but they might be a bit 'stingy' for some of the kids.

Can anyone think of something I can plant now that will be ready to pick in five weeks or so and that kids will love? A tall order, I know.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: Tall order in short order
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 17:01 »
do you have any rhubarb growing? there is loads you can do with that, or you could sow cress in a couple of weeks time so they can make egg and cress sandwiches.  I grew some with my 6 yr old last year and we sprinkled it in the shape of a T for thomas and he thought it was preety cool. you could do individual pots with a different letter in each

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 17:47 »
Have just heard that a whole heap of friends and their kids will be visiting in five weeks. The kids are aged seven and under. They all like mucking around in the dirt here and planting things. I can find lots of enjoyable things to do on the planting side, but it would be nice if I also had something we could pick that they would enjoy eating.

I've had a look round the plot and the only thing I can be sure of having (relatively sure, anyway) is some peas but even in my wildest dreams I'd never have enough to feed eight kids and at least a dozen adults.

I've just put a load of radishes in, but they might be a bit 'stingy' for some of the kids.

Can anyone think of something I can plant now that will be ready to pick in five weeks or so and that kids will love? A tall order, I know.

i'd go on holiday lol.

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 18:53 »
 Be afraid, be very afraid  :ohmy:
I generaly just stick things in the ground green side up.

Snoop

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 12:55 »
do you have any rhubarb growing? there is loads you can do with that, or you could sow cress in a couple of weeks time so they can make egg and cress sandwiches.  I grew some with my 6 yr old last year and we sprinkled it in the shape of a T for thomas and he thought it was preety cool. you could do individual pots with a different letter in each

Unfortunately no rhubarb... But the cress idea is fantastic. One for each kid. And they can have an egg each from the hens. That will make them feel special.

Thanks.

And thank you blackbob and Digger Tom for those fine words of encouragement :)

digalotty

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 13:49 »
salad leaf will grow fast and will bulk up a salad or a sandwitch, and there are different ones and if you plant some carrots then the baby thinnings could also go in maby even some baby beets too ;)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

xx
Order placed

Started by PAH48 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post November 08, 2008, 20:59
by Bombers
xx
fig tree and who to order from?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post March 28, 2016, 12:00
by Nobbie
xx
Potatoe Order

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2014, 16:12
by wil4025
xx
before i make my order have i got everything

Started by drmoonshine on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2011, 08:14
by Kristen

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 34 queries.