Using a heater propagator.

• 11 Replies

maddave

• Experienced Member
Using a heater propagator.
« on: March 11, 2015, 11:25 »
Quick question:

I managed to nab a free heated propagator off freecycle and currently have some leek seeds and cauliflower seeds planted in those fiberous pots sitting in it.

I was just wondering how I actually use the propagator properly?  I assume, once the seedlings are visible through the soil, I can switch the heater off and just let them grow unaided until I am ready to plant them out. Or should I keep the heat on for a few weeks before planting out?
Sorry if this is a stupid question!!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Using a heater propagator.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 12:02 »
I put little (1/4 sized) seed trays in my propagator. Each tray has its own clear plastic lid.  Once they germinate I open the vents on the lid, and then after a couple of days (acclimatisation) remove the lid. I think they still benefit from bottom-heat to promote root growth.

They stay there until I need the propagator space for something else (which isn't long at this time of the year!). I have lots of trays, fewer clear plastic lids (as they come off after germination, but the seedlings remain in the trays until pricked out which may be a couple of weeks later)

Are the fibrous pots you mention the type that you plant out "whole"?  I hated that type of pot, made from compressed peat, back in the days when we used them.  They dried out a lot, and where still very hard for the roots to grow through when in the ground, overall I think they restricted the plant's subsequent development.

perhaps grow a few in ordinary pots and knock them out of the pots when you plant out, and compare how they do against your fibrous potted ones ?

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 13:09 »
Perfect! Thank you.

To be honest, I've never used the pots before the end of last year. I got them to get some autumn garlic going before I had a bed ready. The garlic seemed fine and the roots grow through the pots in no time.  I actually find they are always wet and the ones I used for the garlic pretty much disintegrated when I tried to move them up to the allotment!

I'll see how they go, but can understand they might be restrictive to the roots.

Thanks again for your help.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 15:16 »
Cabbage and cauli don't need heat ! 

A heated prop is to germinate seeds that need a constant temperature.  Not many seeds do, so check the seed packet instructions before putting your seeds in there

Once themseeds germinate move to cooler conditions

God luck  :)

luke34

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 17:31 »
just thought i'd put this pic up to show what can be done without heat.Cauliflower 'All The Year Round
pic1.jpg

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 08:55 »
Thank you. I've taken my caulis out of the propagator. 

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 21:12 »
So you have space in there for something else :D    cucumbers are dead quick to germinate in the geated prop.  Mine have taken just one day :)  a crunchy mini cuc called Cucino

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 08:21 »
Oi! Stop tempting me!!  :D

Out of interest, how do you know if a plant requires heat or not? I am very new to all this and assumed for all seeds to germinate they needed to be warmed up a bit.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 08:28 »
You could try reading the seed packet!

But seriously, a good guide is to how they will ultimately be gown. Brassicas that will sit in the ground all weather over winter, will not require the warmth that tomatoes or chilies that will be in the greenhouse all summer do.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 08:42 »
Don't forget the guide to seed germination temperatures HERE

It doesn't include every type of seed, but it's probably fair to assume that seeds from the same family of plants will have similar germination requirements, so leeks would be similar to onions, for example.

For those not familiar with Fahrenheit temperatures, the columns in the table are in 5C increments, starting with 0C, so for instance, although the % germination of onion seed is similar at both temperatures, at 41F (5C) they will take 31 days to germinate, whereas at 68F (20C) it's only 5 days - big difference!

Note too that with many seeds the % germination and/or the time to germinate can drop off if the temperature is too high, sometimes quite dramatically.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 11:06 »
You could try reading the seed packet!

But seriously, a good guide is to how they will ultimately be gown. Brassicas that will sit in the ground all weather over winter, will not require the warmth that tomatoes or chilies that will be in the greenhouse all summer do.

Easier said than done!  My dad an I bought a load of seeds together and split them.  Guess who has the seeds in envelopes and who has the seed packets!! I only kept a note of when they should go in and the row spacing!! :blush:

Jay, that guide is great! Thanks for the link, very interesting.

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 14:14 »
These things happen Dave  :)  Seed sowing is a fab thing to do but is horribly addictive. Clear space for your seed boxes as they tend to spread as your seed collecting gathers pace. Inexplicably.  :ohmy:

I love hanging my nose over the previous day's sowings.  I never tire of the hopeful expectation of what I will find

Fried brassicas! Botheration  :wacko:

xx
Greenhouse fan heater

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 25, 2009, 08:05
by Kristen
xx
Parafin heater help!

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 17:00
by FRUITFULL
xx
Not so sure on the parrafin heater

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 11, 2009, 16:30
by FRUITFULL
xx
should I put the parafin heater on?

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 08:24
by strangerachael

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 33 queries.