My new chicks. Help please!

• 7 Replies

jinty1911

My new chicks. Help please!
« on: September 13, 2010, 17:41 »
 :D  Got my 1st 3 beautiful ladies yesterday.  They are 21 week old Silky x light Sussex and absolutely gorgeous.  They seemed to settle and were stratching about within 10 minites of arriving in their new home. 
The small breeder we got them from kept them in a large avairy with lots of other varieties of birds and they didn't have a hen house or perch.  I had to put them to bed last night and they immediately snuggled up in the nest box.  As they had had a hard day I left them there, but would like to know if it matters if they sleep in the nest box? They looked so cosy.

Also I hung a large cabbage up for them to play with this afternoon and it has nearly gone.  Can they eat too many greens and do I give them another one tomorrow to keep them entertained?
Thanks Jinty

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
Re: My new chicks. Help please!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 21:00 »
Hi Jinty

Welcome to the flock! Always good to see a new convert!

I would probably only offer a cabbage once or twice a week or it will lose it's "treat" status. Mine free range over grass so I'm not sure if they can/do overdose on greens, but if you are giving a complete pellet food, then they should not need much supplementation with fresh greens, although I think it is nice for them to have variety, interest, fresh food etc. Mine have layers pellets plus kitchen scraps, and whatever they can catch/peck for themselves in the garden.

I think that they need to roost to keep the muscles and bones in their feet in good condition, as well as being natural behaviour and better protection from predators. Keeping their undersides cool when roosting will also keep them from going broody, although since you have silkies you will be fighting a losing battle on that one I expect!

If they go broody then all they will want to do is sit on eggs in a nest and not lay eggs for your breakfast!

Congrats on your new ladies, and please post some pics when you get a chance. Everyone loves a photo  ;)

evie2

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 22:20 »
Hi Jinty and welcome, pictures please :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

jertzee

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 16:06 »
I only got mine on Sunday and let them sleep wherever they fancied as they had a hard day, but last night all 4 of them snuggled up in one, yes one, nest box.

I waited til they got a bit tired and then moved them onto the perches and blocked off the nest box. This morning 3 where still on the perches and the fourth was scratching to get out.

I too have read that they ought to go on the perch for the sake of their legs.

My concern now is that they are all 2 weeks off laying (only 16/17 weeks old) and I don't want to block the boxes off for that time - what do people think?

evie2

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 16:39 »
Mine don't lay over night it's after they've been up for a while :D

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 22:33 »
I must agree with evie 2. My hens do not lay until breakfast has been eaten and anytime between then and close to bed time! I have 'night shutters' that drop down to block off the nest boxes. The problem with them sleeping in the nest boxes is they poop in there and you then get very poppy eggs! Hook em out!

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 09:31 »
Mine were sleeping in the nest boxes so we blocked them off, so wot we do is just before they go into roost we pop in the divider so they carnt get into the nest boxes and then when we let them out first thing in the morning pop out the divider, mine start laying from 8ish onwards.  nicky
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

Jeanette

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 15:41 »
One of the reasons to have them perch is so that the eggs dont get dirty. I have 12 girls and 6 perch the others don't and never have in all the time i have had them (which is quite a long time). If you are happy about them not perching leave them alone it wont hurt them.

xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj
xx
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 10:59
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 39 queries.