Neglected Grape Vine

• 9 Replies

jgiddings

Neglected Grape Vine
« on: April 10, 2015, 19:54 »
Just signed the tenancy on an allotment today and there is something on the allotment I wasn't expecting! I think it's a grape vine that's been left untended for a while. I think it's too late in the year to prune it back now (?), so I was wondering if you had any advice about how to proceed.

I'd definitely like to keep it, so I don't want to damage it this year, but I would like to tidy it up in the meantime (if possible?). I read about just winding it around its supports and then pruning it back over the winter.

Thanks in advance,

James
allotment_2.jpg

Snoop

Re: Neglected Grape Vine
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 20:05 »
Where are you based? I'm in a cold part of Spain (still got frosts in the morning) and round here people are still pruning.

Where you're located is useful information for anyone answering any queries, by the way, so it might be helpful if you were to add this to your profile.

jambop

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 20:12 »
What you have to do is find the main stem from the ground and then you have the option of cutting all the canes back leaving just two good ones at the top and  tie them in to some sort of support one each side. Leave about five buds on each cane and let it grow for this season you might get a few bunches no reason to think why not. Next year you have options to leave the two canes and prune the new wood back to two buds each or select two of the new canes and tie them down as you did before leaving five buds a side and cut out all the other canes.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 20:16 by jambop »

jgiddings

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 21:33 »
Where are you based? I'm in a cold part of Spain (still got frosts in the morning) and round here people are still pruning.

Where you're located is useful information for anyone answering any queries, by the way, so it might be helpful if you were to add this to your profile.

Thanks, have added that info now. Allotment is on the outskirts of London. We've just had a warm spell, and spring has definitely sprung.

What you have to do is find the main stem from the ground and then you have the option of cutting all the canes back leaving just two good ones at the top and  tie them in to some sort of support one each side. Leave about five buds on each cane and let it grow for this season you might get a few bunches no reason to think why not. Next year you have options to leave the two canes and prune the new wood back to two buds each or select two of the new canes and tie them down as you did before leaving five buds a side and cut out all the other canes.

It has definitely got buds appearing, which have not yet developed, although I'm not sure if they appear as low as the first two canes.

Thanks for the replies.

jambop

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 08:17 »
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=285#section3

Here is a link that may help you out about pruning a vine. What I would say is that some prefer a cordon type vine when not growing for wine making. What is important is that you do not leave too many buds on it you want grapes not wood. I would go ahead and get it pruned as soon as possible and try to leave just two canes at the top.

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 08:29 »
You will need to decide how you are going to train it, lots of wine growers grow on the guyot system. From the look of your picture it was over a pergola. I have a very useful little book on vine growing. I'll look it out & repost, but 5 buds springs to mind & 2 leaves past the first bunch of grapes you see also springs to mind. As a note I haven't got a vine now,it was at our last house.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jambop

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 09:08 »
I have four along my south facing garage wall and use a cordon and spur prune training method as these grapes are for eating and I get a good crop. Here is a photo of mine I have been taking hard wood cuttings and am about to expand my grape growing to make a barrier between the house and garden.
DSCN1609 (1024x768).jpg

jgiddings

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 09:57 »
I'm not a huge fan of grapes but I fancy a go at making a sparkling white wine; so I think I'll go ahead and prune it on the guyot system.

Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll try and remember to post a picture of how the vine is doing later in the season!

James

jambop

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 10:24 »
To be honest you will need a lot more grapes than that vine can produce to make wine... you need about five bunches to make one bottle! And for a good wine you don't take more than 5 bunches per vine :)
What you can do if you want is root some of the pruning's, it is quite simple. For one cutting take a good hard wood pruning about 18" and cut it straight through the lowest bud then dip it rooting compound then plant if in a deep pot of gritty compost and keep it well watered and in a nice warm spot by the end of the year it will have rooted. Do as many as you want you will get a high success rate plant them out next year and don't take any grapes the first year after planting out... before you know it you will be drinking château Giddings :)

Remember to plant the cutting the right end in the soil so I always prune the top of the cutting first with an upward cut!!

Silkworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 17:58 »
Hi James,  l personally would not prune it now, if buds are forming sap had risen, l would let it be for this year and prune it back to two laterals with about 10 to 12 buds in December to February next year, the layerals need to be of new growth, so it will fruit next year.

Silky 
Talking to yourself maybe MAD, but at least I know what I mean.
You never stop learning.

xx
Grape vine

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 08, 2007, 18:02
by gobs
xx
Grape vine

Started by Allotmentbabe1968 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2020, 21:56
by hasbeans
xx
grape vine

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 26, 2011, 21:38
by colinc
xx
Grape Vine

Started by bobw1956 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 14, 2013, 19:18
by bobw1956

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 39 queries.