chick waddling and falling over

• 3 Replies

maggiem

chick waddling and falling over
« on: October 18, 2011, 21:03 »
One of our 12 days old chicks has suddenly started to fall over to one side. It does not seem able to stand up fully and although is eating and drinking it seems to be waddling rather than walking. It has been fine up until tonight. Does anyone have an idea of what is wrong? I am worried that the other three develop this too. They are all incubator hatched and I've never seen this problem before in any of our previous batches.
Thanks, Maggie

kegs

Re: chick waddling and falling over
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 15:56 »
Sorry I can't help but I've hatched some eggs in an incubator this year.  What type of brooder are they in?  Could it have slipped and hurt its legs?  If so you could type splayed legs in the search and there are solutions to help if that's what you think the problem is.  Good luck and let us know how your chick gets on.

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 16:19 »
It certainly sounds like splayed legs, which can be caused most commonly by a shiny floor. The legs slips out and stays splayed to one side. It can be remedied with the use of a splint. If you put "splayed legs" into the search on here, there is plenty of advice on how to place the splints.

Once the splints are on be prepared to spend some time with the little one as they will keep falling over until they get used to the splints.

Good luck and keep us posted!

maggiem

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 19:47 »
It's definately not splayed legs. By the time we went off to bed last night a second chick was displaying the same symptoms but when we got up this morning they were both back to normal and running around with no sign of any problems at all. It's a complete mystery!!!
Maggie

xx
chick falling over

Started by caerkev on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 00:33
by agapanthus
xx
Help - Bum Hanging low and waddling

Started by pookey on The Hen House

41 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 18:54
by Aunt Sally
xx
Mucky bottom, waddling and hunched up.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 13:30
by helens-hens
xx
Chicken unwell very swollen between legs and waddling

Started by Speckly Sarah on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 18:03
by Speckly Sarah

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 36 queries.