Preserves on Parade

• 228 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Preserves on Parade
« Reply #180 on: October 10, 2018, 10:36 »
More quince stuff - I have now stashed the whole crop and made pie  :D

As well as the jelly, I have quince brandy steeping, quince and lemon conserve, spicy pickled quince slices and this quince chutney.

Quince out now  :lol:  The pickled quince has left a lot of leftover spiced and sweetened vinegar, so picked up a bag of unwaxed lemons on the way to work to make a lemon pickle later.

Unknown.jpeg

Growster...

« Reply #181 on: October 10, 2018, 17:45 »
New Shoot, and of course, anyone else here making preserves, you've made our five small jars of tomato chutney seem rather (very) insignificant by comparison!

Mrs Growster marvels at your work, then asks, if you can possibly use it all before next year...;0)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: October 10, 2018, 21:07 »
Mrs Growster marvels at your work, then asks, if you can possibly use it all before next year...;0)

:lol:  Maybe but I'm happy to have extra.  Last year the quince tree only had a few fruits and then dropped the lot early, so the harvest was a big fat zero.  I have just opened the last jar of quince chutney from 2016 and very fine it is too  :D

There are spicy preserves to have with curries, traditional ones for sandwiches and the like, which perks up my late night dinners no end when I get home from late shifts at job no.2.  I also have OH to feed, who I suspect polishes off way more than me, you and Mrs G combined.

I cook with them, adding chutney to the bottom of quiche cases, into tagines and other spicy stews, plus jellies into gravy and jams and conserves into puddings.  Then there are the seasonal gifts for a couple of months time ....  it all goes  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2019, 20:08 »
I’ll start 2019 shall I?
I bought oranges, lemons & Sevilles on Friday for this years marmalade making jamboree (I didn’t make any last year as I was still recovering from being ill at Christmas.
So on Saturday I made a start to prepare the fruits & put to soak overnight before making 2 x 2 batches of 3 fruit marmalade on Sunday & preparing the rest of the Seville’s to soak overnight to be made into 2 batches of Seville marmalade on Monday
94CFF0B0-A9D5-4874-B883-D8384B52DA40.jpeg
34CACDE1-F0D1-4B27-9B4E-342CA73D7B0F.jpeg
F5EC66DB-1BF1-4021-BA30-98EFF7C370F8.jpeg
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #184 on: February 02, 2019, 11:04 »
And here’s this weeks raspberry jam
B011EB31-6ADB-40C7-AF23-C6FCA37063E0.jpeg

snowdrops

« Reply #185 on: February 02, 2019, 12:53 »
And today’s black,white & redcurrant jam. Finally getting down the fruit mountain in the freezer. Now just a jam mountain in the garage preserve cupboard 😂
1F4E2C2A-8B45-49D3-9F8F-1F4BBA8B691F.jpeg

Pescador

« Reply #186 on: February 02, 2019, 17:26 »
Did you get a supply of jars sorted out?
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

MrsPea

Preserves on Parade
« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2020, 17:51 »
Been busy i made 2 jars of Tomato and Chilli Chutney this morning it's certainly got a kick  :D
I Love my green house

Growster...

« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2020, 06:24 »
Been busy i made 2 jars of Tomato and Chilli Chutney this morning it's certainly got a kick  :D

Marvellous!

A Daughter gave me a hamper from MandS last week, (birthday pres), and there was a jar of this - as yet unopened, and also a small jar of Apple and Fig, which is to die for!

Fig and Apple is not available in normal quants, so we're taking the recipe from the back, and going to make our own! (Mrs Growster is a dab hand at chilli production, having germinated about fifty plants from a tired, forgotten old red pepper left hanging by a thread to dry, ages ago)!

This idea nearly worked, a year or so back, when we tried to replicate that gorgeous one, 'Pan Yan', which for some reason isn't around any more, but this new fig stuff is nearly the same - possibly because of the ginger and cardamom. We may just chuck in some Nigella for contrast...

Your recipe sounds brilliant, have you published it, or is it a state secret?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2020, 09:45 »
I made a couple of jars of green bean pickles, plus some Sichuan pepper and salt mix.

First jars filled this year - we’re off  :D
5A40C7D2-09E1-4396-8C37-BE36D324A839.jpeg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: September 09, 2020, 11:52 »
A neighbour gave me a huge bag of green tomatoes as they were clearing their greenhouse and had loads to ripen.  I have a ton from the plot already hogging the windowsills, so chutney time   :lol:

This is green tomato chutney with no apple, just tomato, onion and spices, so is a bit different.  I have made it before and we both really liked it last time, much preferring it over the normal recipes  :)
Unknown.jpeg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2020, 20:39 »
This week so far is a couple of jars of Hungarian Salad Pickles, which are one to keep in the fridge once opened and eat up fast, as they are in a brine and vinegar mix.  The other jars are a cucumber pickle from an American recipe.  They have a few more spices in them than the bread and butter type we make here.

I have apple chunks in the dehydrator now and will be heading up to the plot for red cabbage in the next day or so.  Some are getting braised and put in the freezer and some are for pickles  :)
IMG_3821 (1024x768).jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2020, 20:47 »
I've just made 8 jars of Apple & Rhubarb chutney, I put some in new jars for December 'holiday' hampers :)

wighty

« Reply #193 on: September 18, 2020, 16:00 »
Six jars of pickled onions in the cupboard 'hidden' to try this year to keep at least one back for cold cuts later in the year.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: September 30, 2020, 12:46 »
The most photogenic of preserves and one of my favourites - quince jelly  :)  Harvested my tree and have my stash done. plus have quince brandy steeping away.

How a hard yellow bitter fruit like a quince transforms into this delicious preserve is some sort of magic  8)
Unknown.jpeg

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 55 queries.