Stoats and Arks

• 3 Replies

marygall

Stoats and Arks
« on: January 17, 2010, 19:42 »
The snow is finally gone (mostly) from the garden and the girls were all happily picking at the grass this afternoon when they suddenly became very interested in the garden wall. I noticed some movement and saw a stoat half dressed in his winter clothes - very pretty but also a bit worrying.
I've got an old Forsham ark - do you think that, with the ramp up at night there's any real chance of the stoat getting in?

I posted earlier about one of my young australorps not going in to the big ark and having to be put to bed every night. She finally got the hang of it last week but I moved the ark today and found her back in the coop again tonight! very worrying given the latest visitor.

I've read the posts about stoats, I don't want to go putting traps and poisen down unless I really need to - there have been stoats about here before, are they always killers?

spud

• Experienced Member
Re: Stoats and Arks
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 20:04 »
If you've seen a stoat, then your fowl is in danger unless you can keep them secure in a vermin proof pen and house.

Cheers

:)
Best Regards,

spud

alotment lad

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 21:55 »
i know there pretty animals but if i was you i would set a trap up the second i saw them they kill to eat the first the rest they kill for fun . they are evil little things.     TRAPS TRAPS   ....TRAPS.   

marygall

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 00:02 »
Thanks for your advice, I'll make sure the ark is secure and consider traps - will rat traps do?
I can't keep the hens in a secure pen all day, but I'm assuming that stoats are generally more active at night.
During the day the cat's out and about in the back and the whippet's out and about at the front. There are also a lot of young pheasants around at the moment, so I'm hoping that they'll be more tempting prey than my hens, they're certainly smaller.

angry
stoats!!!

Started by purplebat on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 17:49
by purplebat
xx
Stoats

Started by Prod on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 10:55
by Prod
xx
Stoats,weasels.

Started by arthur cooke on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 24, 2008, 20:25
by arthur cooke
xx
stoats and chickens dont mix

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 09, 2006, 20:59
by muntjac

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 38 queries.