Chilli Seeds

• 21 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Chilli Seeds
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 09:17 »
Just come through. No fancy grow-lights or heated propagator. Just a Tesco plastic bag. Save your money.
82387381_3671692372871555_6938374513973264384_n.jpg
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 15:00 »
I think perhaps the lights are to stop them growing leggie.  Having no lights but a warm windowsill I will hold off to the beginning of Feb, and try to remember that tip about pinching them out to encourage side shoots
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 06:59 »
I think perhaps the lights are to stop them growing leggie. 

A bit of aluminium foil is sufficient.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2020, 09:15 »
I think perhaps the lights are to stop them growing leggie. 

A bit of aluminium foil is sufficient.

It is true and I use cardboard lined with foil behind the trays lined up on my windowsills later in the year.  I do find the grow lights useful this early in the year though.  Even with the foil backing boards, seedlings will lean to the light on the windowsills, but my house is a pretty old and the windows are not very large. 

I also have a heated propagator which sits on a windowsill.  Again, you can manage without, but it does give more reliable germination which I find useful, especially with some seeds, that can be expensive.  I don't heat the greenhouse, so really early sowings are limited to onions, aubergines and chillies/peppers.

Perfect,

Thanks for the advice shoots. I was considering getting a heated propagator until I just checked out that link. Which would be the better investment?

If the grow lights are just for a few chillies, I would say that is a luxury.  You can get by and sow a little later, especially if you are not growing the super hot ones.  You might use a propagator a lot more, but bear in mind that those seedlings then need somewhere to move onto, so don't get too carried away.  I've done that before believe me  :lol:

Put the grow light garden on your pressie list and cross your fingers  ;)

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2020, 21:53 »
I've sown 12 Trinidad Moruga Scorpions in a seedling tray with cover and nothing else, then when I get my heated propagator out of the loft, I'm going to do some in that and see which do the best. Obviously the plain sown one will have a weeks head start...!

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 20:23 »
The TM Scorpions just plain sown in a normal seed tray with clear lid on in the house have just started to poke out of the soil (3 of 11 sown) so I make that 8 days from sowing to showing for the first few. They look a very pale green though, must be the light deprevation. Will post how many show out of the 11. Will be interesting to see if the heated propagator seedlings can make them germinate any quicker...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 08:52 »
They look a very pale green though, must be the light deprevation.

They should recover quite quickly if you get them onto a windowsill with a tin foil reflector behind it.  I have no big picture windows and only a few on the sunny side of the house, but tin foil comes to the rescue, even if I still have to turn plants round regularly. 

I find chilli seeds are not so fussy about a heated propagator, but aubergines tend to sulk massively without one.  I don't keep my house heated that hot, so that might be a factor though  :unsure:  Most seeds seem to say 20ish degrees C and we don't like the house quite that warm.  Mine gets a decent amount of work over spring for bits and pieces, including some flower seeds.  It is a long thin type that sits on a window sill and did come with little trays with plastic covers.  I tend to use small pots and plastic bags on it though.  It does mean I don't have to choose though between giving them a bit of heat to get the remaining seeds going and then light for any that have germinated  :)

xx
Chilli seeds

Started by Yabba on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post August 30, 2008, 23:32
by Yabba
xx
F1 Chilli Seeds

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2023, 00:56
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Chilli seeds

Started by businessmonkey9 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 19, 2020, 14:27
by Ema
xx
Chilli seeds in Propagator?

Started by stickmeup on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2014, 09:29
by New shoot

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 46 queries.