Grafted Melons

• 3 Replies

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
Grafted Melons
« on: August 05, 2012, 20:48 »
Hi all. I couldn't find any previous posts on this subject.

I have purchased three unknown grafted melons. I believe that they are a cantaloupe variety. Anyway they are really going in the green house now. I have a few nice fruits starting to grow. I was listening to GWQT last week and Saint Bob said that you should only expect one fruit per plant and remove others to concentrate the energy. So whilst the egg sized fruits I have were half that size two days ago I am wondering if I should remove competitors.

I recall when ordering the plants that there was little in the way of growing advice. Does anyone have experience with these things please?

BP
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Grafted Melons
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:55 »
Last year my ungrafted Sweetheart melons grew very strongly and looked as if they were going to set at least a dozen fruits apiece!  :ohmy:

The first 5 per plant set and grew, the others aborted, and only 3 of the 5 actually grew to full size.

I've not tried grafted plants but I thought the benefit of the technique was that the plants are more vigorous and produce more fruit than non-grafted types, so I would have thought that 1 per plant was a bit conservative.

If it were me I'd go for 3 per plant in the hope that I'd get at least 1 good one and a couple of bonus fruits, but this is all guesswork of course (and this year they succumbed to the poor conditions without even getting to the flowering stage!)   :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 10:53 »
for what it's worth, the instructions on the melon seeds I tried to grow this year were to limit each plant to 3 fruit. There were also some complicated instructions about pinching the growing tip out twice to encourage a third "branch" which is where the fruit actually grow.

Having said that, after 3 months, the three seedlings which grew (from 5 seeds) were only about 3" high, so I gave up on them!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 12:33 »
I tried melon from seed for the first time this year, in my polytunnel. I did two plants but chucked one out a while back because it never grew, just sat there looking miserable. The other one did finally start growing strongly a few weeks back, but there's no way I'm going to get any fruit from it. It's a decent size now and has flowers but not a single fruit. Next year I'll use the space for more tomatoes :)

xx
Melons!

Started by samnorfolk on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 21:23
by A. Fallowfield
xx
Melons?

Started by Urbanite on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2016, 21:07
by Eblana
xx
Big melons

Started by Baldy on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post March 25, 2013, 12:58
by Baldy
xx
Melons or Aubergines?

Started by adri123 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 19:40
by 3 allotments

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 38 queries.