Another ill chicken

• 12 Replies

The Oxtish

Another ill chicken
« on: August 30, 2008, 10:40 »
Also requesting a bit of advice about an ill chook. We have a 7 week Polish living outside seperate, but within, a run containing 5 various breeds. She is with another 7 week Lauman. She showed some signs of gape a few days ago and so I've included a dose of Flubenvet within her feed. However, this morning she stayed in the house and didin't run when picked up. Her breathing is rasping and she's opening her mouth a lot – not gaping but definitely opening. I was going to give a more definite does of Flubenvet in mushy bread – any other ideas? Are certain breeds more susceptible? Frank :?:  :(

Vember

Another ill chicken
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 10:44 »
Are her poops normal?
Any discharge from eye's or nose?
Any sneezing or snuffling?

Sarah :)

poultrygeist

Another ill chicken
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 11:47 »
Can't offer any advice Frank. It sounds like gape, but have you eliminated other possible causes ?

eg. soemthing stuck in her crop and irritating her throat, and the other symptoms that vember suggested.

I would definitely complete the full course of flubenvet (7 days) though I don't know how quickly she should respond.

Rob 8)

Foxy

Another ill chicken
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 11:47 »
at this  stage it sounds like a mycoplasma, a common infection that particulary infects young growers who are more susceptible .Symptoms include  beak gaping slightly and panting, sometimes discharge from nostrils,foamy discharge from eyes, swollen sinuses (the area under the eyes) more severe symptoms are wheezing and rattling breathing.
Treatment would be antibiotics from the vet usually Baytril or Tylan are commonly used for this type of infection. All birds would need to be treated as is tranmitted easily through via the respiratory system. The bacteria doesn't live long off the bird but a good clean might be a good idea anyway whatever the infection.
Just a note re: bedding ensure that you have good dust-extracted wood shavings in henhouse and straw not hay in the nestboxes.
Hope that helps! :D

Foxy

Another ill chicken
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 11:52 »
If its gape you might be able to see the thin red worms by looking down her throat.
Here is a link to a photo from wiki

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Gapeworms.jpg

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Another ill chicken
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 14:04 »
Foxy - that is gross!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Another ill chicken
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 14:51 »
I agree it doesn't really sound like gape worm, unless you have had other birds on the area where the chick is that have had it. I doubt there would be many worms and snails there carrying the infection either.

A respiratory infection as foxy says would be my suggestion too.

The Oxtish

Another ill chicken
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 16:03 »
she does seem to be displaying some symptoms of mycoplasma, she is breathing through her mouth and gaping and her throat is rattling as though she is struggling to breath properly, however there is no discharge as yet!

however we do have a history of gapeworm in our flock and treat them with flubenvet every month. should i go ahead and treat for both gapeworm and mycoplasma?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Another ill chicken
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 19:20 »
Well that makes you our expert on gape worm Oxtish  :wink:

If you've started a course of flubenvet then I'd continue it and for gape worm I'd actually lengthern the course to 14 days instead of 7 for a bird who is showing symptoms.

Reassess for mycoplasma or other respiratory infection if she does not seem to be responding to the flubenvet.

Good luck and let us know how she is getting on :D

The Oxtish

Another ill chicken
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 16:51 »
unfortunately when I checked today she has got worse if anything, she is off her food i think and we have been feeding her mushed up bread and flubenvet by hand. today it seems its consistantly getting harder for her to breathe and she really is struggling with every breath.. is there anything else i can do?

Daisycow

Another ill chicken
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 18:41 »
Have you sought advice from the vets? I would try and speak to one asap...It does sound like mycoplasma. When mine had it it took a couple of days to start improving on the anti biotics.
Hope she improves

The Oxtish

Another ill chicken
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 16:18 »
unfortunately we didn't make it in time and the chick died this afternoon before we could take her to the vets. it does seem that it wasn't gapeworm since she clearly didn't respond to the flubenvet. we think that by the time her symptoms became clear she was just too far gone. thanks for all your help anyway.

Foxy

Another ill chicken
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 20:44 »
Really sorry to her about your chick, :cry: keep a really close eye on your other birds as most respiratory infections are infectious particulary mycoplasma.

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
another new chicken ???

Started by babe on The Hen House

54 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 23:12
by hazelize_uk
xx
new chicken run

Started by Chrysalis on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 02, 2013, 22:20
by GrannieAnnie
xx
How do I know the age of a chicken?

Started by Neelam on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 28, 2013, 10:49
by Sassy

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 35 queries.