Chicken not well need help!!!

• 2 Replies

grassman675

Chicken not well need help!!!
« on: July 17, 2014, 21:38 »
Hi,
About a day ago i noticed that one of my chickens (a white leghorn aged about 2 i think) wasn't looking to good wasn't walking around rosey and going like the others just looked tired if you know what i mean didn't look good. i looked at her everything looked okay so i left her and decided i would wait and see what she is like in the morning. She didn't come out of the chicken house straight away she just stayed in there all the others were out feeding. A minute ago i went out to put the chickens in the run as getting dark didn't want the fox to get them. i used corn as usual to do this all the others came but she wasn't interested i put my hand down dropped some corn in front of her. didn't even touch it where as she would usually eat the whole lot. i then decided to catch her and check her again. her crop sack was watery like there was just water in there then as i was holding her she was sick the sick was watery and was a misty sort of colour. does anyone know what i could do?
thanks

(p.s i just have seen tiny bits of mold on the corn could this change anything)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 21:40 by grassman675 »

Springlands

Re: Chicken not well need help!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 07:41 »
The mouldy corn could have caused problems so you need to stop using it. It could be sour crop - if so you need to turn the hen upside down and gently massage the crop area to empty the crop of water. Then feed the hen layers pellets mixed with natural yoghurt as this helps to neutralise any fungus.  You should also use Apple cider vinegar in the hens drinking water at a rate of a teaspoon per litre. And do not feed any corn until she is better. You need to do this for about three days and if the hen does not improve you would need to take her to the vet for a proper examination.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chicken not well need help!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 08:12 »
yes it could, you need to throw the corn away and buy fresh.
If you click on here you will find out treatments for sour crop.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Chicken run

Started by stoko on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 18, 2009, 21:16
by SnooziSuzi
xx
ill chicken

Started by gem on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 20:01
by bantam novice
xx
Help, which is the right chicken?

Started by smiler43 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 18:05
by smiler43

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 39 queries.