Bullying - does anti peck spray work?

• 1 Replies

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
Bullying - does anti peck spray work?
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:01 »
We have recently introduced a Bluebelle (Clara) and a Partridge (Ruby) to our Copper Black (Tilly) and our Blacktail (Hettie). We had 4 girls originally and could never work out the pecking order as they all got along with absolutely no squabbling. We lost our Coucou last October and our Ranger earlier this month and thought 2 new girls would be a good idea. However, Tilly does not agree and has turned into a real bully with Hettie joining in. Tilly has taken a particular dislike to Clara, who is a very friendly, confident little girl, unlike Ruby who is quite nervous, so I'm surprised that she's the one being singled out. We have done all the suggested separating initially in view, putting the newbies in the coop after the others have settled at night etc. and the newbies are doing all the right submissive behavious but Tilly is still being very naughty and stalks them constantly. She pecks at Ruby if she's nearby but will go out of her way to run at Clara and peck at her (although she hasn't drawn blood yet). I have read mixed reviews about the effectiveness of anti peck spray and wondered if anyone has any advice or has found a reliable method that works.
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Bullying - does anti peck spray work?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 13:06 »
If they are not causing any injury I would leave them to it so they will establish the pecking order and things should settle down.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Age for anti peck spray

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 20:22
by evie2
xx
Ukadex anti-peck spray - has anybody tried it.

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 28, 2009, 11:33
by poppies
xx
Non-smelly anti-peck spray

Started by Kate and her Ducks on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 07, 2010, 11:06
by Flowerpower136
xx
Anti Peck Sprays

Started by Andy J on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 20:03
by kimT

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 35 queries.