Time to plant out the tender stuff?

• 11 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Time to plant out the tender stuff?
« on: April 26, 2011, 11:37 »
I've got 3 different types of tomatoes, 2 melon plants, and 2 F1 cucumbers in 4" pots, and all of them have been living permanently in the cold greenhouse during this recent warm spell.

The melon and cuke plants are still quite small, but the toms are about 9" and their growbags are calling!  :)

How long do you usually wait before planting the above into their permanent greenhouse positions? (the temperatures are considerably lower today and might remain so for the rest of the week.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Time to plant out the tender stuff?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 13:14 »
Plant when you can safely say that the night temperature remains above 10C at night, even if it means covering with poly or fleece at night.
I'm waiting for this relatively cold snap to pass and then planting mine.

I drape polysheet along each side of the canes to make a long teepee (pegged to the canes) if frost is forecast

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 13:19 »
My toms are in their final place as they are (fairly) hardy. But my cucs are staying firmly in the nice warm greenhouse for now  8)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 14:02 »
Im waiting another 2 weeks i think just to be safe, theres threat of a frost this week i think.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 19:44 »
Thanks guys!  :)

Will keep my options open for another week or so, especially with the cukes (one of which already looks a bit weary and "tired of living" after just two weeks of life, so both of them have been moved into the kitchen and given a nice comfy plastic bag to hopefully make them feel better!)

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 20:05 »
polytunnel in north Lincolnshire - about 2 weeks more I think, perhaps 1 week in my glass house as it has power so could put a little heat on.
R

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 22:47 »
My cucumber seeds went in today - the plants hate sudden drops in over-night temperatures and can easily be lost if they're chilled.

Tomatoes on the other hand have to take their chance. A sudden cooling may slow them down a little but shouldn't kill them off unless the frost hits them full on.  :blink:

Melons? Not the foggiest. Have grown an outside variety once and that lived in the cold-frame all season.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

peter rooster

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 15:07 »
If in the north wait a bit. I have just lost french climbing beans, squashes and sweercorn. :ohmy:
Is there any sound better than contented chickens rosey away, far better tha whale song!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 16:20 »
tomatoes, peppers and aubergines have gone in the g/house border today, 2 courgettes in pots on the path for now.
Cues are still happy on the spare bedroom windowledge, I'll leave them for a bit longer ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 22:55 »
Today was the day that the first of the bedding plants went out. I do hope they will be OK after caring for them for weeks and weeks.

I passed 4 full-trays over to my OH who always does the flower gardens at home. 1/2 a tray of my lovely little geraniums are not sat sitting in a cavity wall in front of the conservatory.

I'll miss seeing them popping in and out of the greenhouse.  :mellow:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 23:03 »
My 3 varieties of toms for the greenhouse will be planted in their growbags over the weekend (they are starting to out-grow their 4" pots and have been in the G/H for at least 2 weeks apart from the couple of cold nights this week, so I think it's time they took the plunge!)

The F1 Passandra cukes and the melons are still in intensive care in my kitchen so I'll have to be very nice to them for a week or so although I'm presently quite hopeful that they are still going to vote "pro-life!"  ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 23:14 »
My 3 varieties of toms for the greenhouse will be planted in their growbags over the weekend (they are starting to out-grow their 4" pots and have been in the G/H for at least 2 weeks apart from the couple of cold nights this week, so I think it's time they took the plunge!)

The F1 Passandra cukes and the melons are still in intensive care in my kitchen so I'll have to be very nice to them for a week or so although I'm presently quite hopeful that they are still going to vote "pro-life!"  ;)

My tomatoes have been in the greenhouse for weeks... it's a lean to on the back of my parents bungalow and pretty warm on the chilliest of days. Now that the bedding plants are slowly making their way home with me and there's more room I've potted 6 cherry tomatoes into 12" pots and they look so much happier.

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 40 queries.