deformed feet

• 4 Replies

Jo57

• Experienced Member
deformed feet
« on: August 05, 2014, 07:55 »
At the weekend I bought four 5 week old sabelpoot chicks to raise until able to join the rest (bought in rather than hatch as did not want cockerel dilemmas again) I know I should have checked them more thoroughly but this morning I noticed one of them had curled over feet and thought she just needed a wash as was a bit mucky. But she has feathers curled round and holding her toes over and I can see now she has been walking on the sides of her feet. When I get help (only me up) I will cut the feathers and have a better look. I have found on the internet advice on making little 'boots' or splints but am guessing she is already too old for this. She seems to be coping in her little group. Any advice?

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: deformed feet
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 08:43 »
Aww what a shame. The same happened to me, I was given five when we came here and didn't check closely when we picked them up as I felt that would have been rude as they were a gift. They did mention that this particular hen might be a cockerel but were wrong about that. She is eighteen months old now and although it was just one foot when she was young, the other is slightly curled too now, she is a big girl but manages OK. She scratches and perches fine, is very bossy and lays nearly every day. Unfortunately her eggs have soft patches, something that has developed quite early, and as she is big and clumsy she usually breaks them and eats them. Because of all this I believe she has some sort of imbalace in her calcium use. She laid all through winter too, shame.

One of our Shumens also had two twisted feet. She wasn't hatched like this, but started to lose her balance early and no amount of trying to splint them worked, she was just too tiny. We decided to see how she went, and apart from early balance problems she did OK, scratched and perched when the time came. We called her Darcy as she danced everywhere at full speed. She started laying good strong eggs and became my favourite. Unfortunately she suddenly went down hill and died a couple of weeks ago, very odd, she was a good weight and still laying. Miss her like crazy.

In hindsight maybe both should have been culled at hatch, but they had good lives and Chubba is still going strong. Both acted as they should and were always in the front for any treats. So though your girl might be too old to help straighten her feet, there is no reason she should not have a good, productive life for however long it is.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 09:48 »
Ah thank you. Just what I wanted to hear. My silver baby did not seem any different from her sisters until I looked closely today checking something else (another story) so it was a real shock. Had seen nothing wrong in 3 days I have had them. She is moving around fine and very much part of the group. I know if I contacted the seller I would get money back or a replacement but not happy to send her off to be culled so will keep her and let her have a chance.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:14 »
sometimes if the incubator is at the wrong temp it can cause foot problems as can genetic problems. Birds are very good at adapting though and as sabelpoots are only small light birds she should be ok :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:56 »
Phew! Poor little girl. She'll get my special attention from now.

xx
Deformed feet

Started by Snaphappii on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 09:21
by Aunt Sally
xx
HEN WITH DEFORMED BEAK

Started by compostqueen on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 15:23
by compostqueen
xx
Deformed Beak

Started by Caralou on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 22:29
by Caralou
xx
Deformed Spurs

Started by Thingy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 12:58
by joyfull

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 29 queries.