Glyphosate

• 19 Replies

toto691

Glyphosate
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 00:18 »
Quote from: "silver8"
Dont you guys ever think of the bigger picture and think about the harm you are doing to the envirnoment with the use of such chemicals.

I do....  and hate to use chemicals where it can be helped, but i used these to clear someone elses garden of the dreaded horsetail, she doesnt have anything growing as yet, and i read the product that contained the glysophate neutralised itself on contact with soil, so only soaks into the weed.
I wouldnt use anything near edibles or near wildlife, but have used this as a last resort.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Glyphosate
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 08:58 »
Quote from: "silver8"
Dont you guys ever think of the bigger picture and think about the harm you are doing to the envirnoment with the use of such chemicals.

That's a very valid concern - so here's my answer.
Amicide is well documented and converts to sulphate of ammonia (a fertiliser) after a few weeks contact with the oxygen in the air.

Glyphosate - there are some suggestions that this chemical can be harmful to people, mainly agricultural workers using it in large quantity but the small amount we use is of no environmental significance.

Even the most extreme chemical grower on an allotment is doing far more to benefit the environment than harm it.  Buying organic vegetables, which is good, flown in from far lands results in the generation of CO2 etc through the 'food miles'

Add on the environmental cost of the packaging, human exploitation of the producers etc and I think the home grower wins hands down.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

silver8

• Experienced Member
Glyphosate
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 10:01 »
Have to agree about organic food in supermarkets which is one of the main reasons I got an allotment.So called organic garlic all the way from Argentina - not for me. I did start getting a box delivered but even that came from Devon and was costing me an arm and an leg.  However was thinking of building some hedgehog boxes.But what is the point when everybody else is plastering their plots with slug pellets. Saw a dead hedgehog on the site recently and really wondered how it died.
Have to admit have no knowledge of the product in question. But does it damage the soil in anyway or the creatures like worms that live there. Does it get washed into local streams and do damage there. I would be surprised if the answer is a certain one and that if we all started using it that the environment would not get damaged in anyway.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Glyphosate
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 21:37 »
It's a matter of balance -  amicide is chemically very simple and used correctly causes no problems -  glyphosate I'm not so sure about.

I applaud your wish to look after the environment, but you can only fight your own corner and persuade others. For example, why not mention to your fellow allotment holders about the dead hedghog and the benefts they bring. Then bring up the bad effects of conventional slug pellets and suggest the environmentally safe versions.

Don't be judgemental - you'll get backs up, Trust me, I was a salesman :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Glyphosate
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 21:52 »
Hear Hear John.

Silver8, if you read back on a lot of posts, you will find that most of us try to grow as organically as possible, but sometimes, we need a little help.  Most people don't live anywhere near streams and such, and indeed, you don't know why the hedgehog died, it could hve been old, injured, hit by a car and wounded then died on the site, anything.

I bought some glyphosate, but only to try to get rid of a load of creeping buttercup and horsetail (which it didn't shift) on my front driveway which is pebbled, and is nowhere near water.

I don't use slug pellets, I rarely use pesticides, just started making my own rhubarb leaf spray, and go out to try to pick the catterpillars off my brassicas, so please as John said, don't be judemental, but yes definitely talk about things that concern you on here, and maybe we'll all learn a bit more, and still be friends!!!!

xx
glyphosate

Started by gobs on Grow Your Own

59 Replies
Last post November 26, 2007, 23:28
by WG.
xx
Glyphosate

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 27, 2017, 11:21
by New shoot
xx
glyphosate?

Started by Paul Rhodes on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 22:28
by richrua
xx
after using glyphosate?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 11, 2013, 20:11
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 38 queries.