Demijohns

• 2 Replies

Nikkithefoot

Demijohns
« on: February 23, 2008, 20:04 »
I have had a clear out/up and have uncovered some demijohns that have been in the garden for errrr some years. They will have been exposed to frost, heat, direct sun, rain etc,etc.

Question is will they still be ok to use ie for wine? I'm thinking more around will they have been weakened due to the frosts?

Would I be better chucking them (recycling) and getting new ones as I'm going to start wine making this year again?

Nikki
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Tinbasher

• Experienced Member
Re: Demijohns
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 00:24 »
Quote from: "Nikkithefoot"
I have had a clear out/up and have uncovered some demijohns that have been in the garden for errrr some years. They will have been exposed to frost, heat, direct sun, rain etc,etc.

Question is will they still be ok to use ie for wine? I'm thinking more around will they have been weakened due to the frosts?

Would I be better chucking them (recycling) and getting new ones as I'm going to start wine making this year again?

Nikki

I've been given loads over the years from all sorts of sheds and cellars.  Apart from them being filthy, I've never bothered or known what they've been through.  Apart from the 'ear' once snapping off one, I've never had one break yet (touches cricket bat).  Glass is a pretty hardy substance is it not?  Imagine what windows go through, even old ones, and they don't go utterly brittle.

Never use them as a pressure vessel.  Accept that they are not a precision-made container from new.  They can vary quite a bit between one and the next in the size of the bung hole.

Stripey_cat

Demijohns
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 12:53 »
Glass shouldn't be damaged by frosts, unless they were full of water that expanded as it froze (like a burst pipe) - your greenhouse and your windows are fine covered with frost.  Sun and rain are fine, too.

It's not keen on being knocked, though - I tried the cleaning with chain trick, and had a crack propagate right through a jar with such a bang I fell over backwards!  Be reasonably gentle handling them.  The other killer for glass is thermal shock - sudden changes in temperature make it contract or expand unevenly, and again it can suddenly crack in half.  Be careful washing them, that you don't pour boiling water into a cold jar or vice versa.

xx
Demijohns..

Started by Isprinsessan on Homebrew

13 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 09:10
by ANHBUC
xx
more demijohns coming

Started by grinling on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2013, 14:03
by Elvira
xx
Cleaning Demijohns

Started by Jaye on Homebrew

14 Replies
Last post April 22, 2008, 23:57
by subsub
xx
demijohns free

Started by becbuur on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 16:47
by joyfull

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 38 queries.