Re: Mountfield M1 Rotovator
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 23:09 »
Better view of main jet supply drilling
Main jet supply drilling.jpg

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 09:44 »
Thanks Smud6ie, I haven't removed the main jet. It looks like somebody previously had attempted this operation because the screw slot on the main jet is damaged. I didn't want to damage it any further with my effort to remove the main jet. But, it appears this is my main and next operation if I want the carb to work. So, it looks like I need to spray the main jet area with a lot of WD40. And then what? Soak the stripped carb in what? In an attempt to release what is holding the main jet tightly. If I damage the screw slot too much. Therefore, not being able to remove with a slotted screwdriver. Are there other "ways and means" to remove this stubborn component? Thanks.   

smud6ie

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2012, 10:27 »
Once damaged the jet can be difficult to remove,The best driver to remove it is one that just slides inside the threads so is the full width of the jet  and preferably hollow ground so the contact is a the very bottom of the slot where it can get a firmer bite.
I have ground the longer interchangeable driver bits to fit most of the carbs i work on so as to not damage them and unlike conventional driver being all metal one can give them a sharp tap with a light hammer which can re profile a slightly damaged slot and helps loosen the brass to alloy bond that wd 40 doesn't seem to do.
One way or another the jet will have to be removed to clean the rest of the holes or the carb is toast.
smud6ie
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:29 by smud6ie »

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 09:20 »
Well, touch wood, but, it appears that a few good squirts of WD40 has done the trick!!! Bit temperamental; fine tuning is required. Which is certainly difficult with a blown-out exhaust. Sounds like a tank coming up the garden path!!!!!!! Therefore, I require a replacement Tecumseh exhaust/muffler Pt No 30996. Within the internet I can't find an UK outlet for this part. Though plenty in the US. Anybody aware of a UK outlet? Thanks. 

smud6ie

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 09:50 »
Did you find the jet hole for the idle mixture? its the one on the main jet between the two lots of thread.?
smud61e

grendel

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 10:32 »
my aspera engines sound like that - the standard small baked bean tin sized exhausts are barely more than that- there is a single baffle plate inside, with holes that dont line up with the outside holes directly, I did manage to get two last year, both of which went onto my engines (as both exhausts were more hole than exhaust) I am sure that anyone could knock up a new exhaust using a small food can in next to no time with just basic skills and a drill.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 12:02 »
Once again thanks to one and all for your invaluable advice. Firstly, smud6ie, after much  :mad: attempts I was unable to remove the main jet. I was just breaking the screw-head of the main jet into little bits of brass!!! So, it was a case of continually squirting WD40 and hoping for the best??? Thanks for the link Gwiz. But, previously I had looked at it and that this particular exhaust will not fit my engine. Grendel is spot-on with his description (small baked bean can) of the exhaust. With a single baffle plate!!!! Bearing his description in mind and looking at my old exhaust I may be able to manipulate it into some sort of working order!!! I've attached a link of what my exhaust looks like. I believe Grendel's are the same??
$(KGrHqJ,!oQE9fivOIzPBPh0Ek,Mi!~~60_35.jpg

Gwiz

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 13:03 »
I assume your aspera engine has a screw thread for the exhaust as well as the two bolts? If so, then one of the cheapo briggs screw in "pepperpot" exhausts will do just as well.

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 13:40 »
Gwiz, Unfortunately, there is no screw thread as part of the exhaust. The two bolts are the only fixing option of the exhaust to the engine. To give you some idea of the dimensions of my exhaust. It is two and a quarter inches diameter and two and a quarter inches in lenght. The exhaust "hole" is five eights of an inch in diameter. The two holes into which the bolts fit are one and three eights apart. Little did I know, but, after reading Grendel's description of his exhausts. Perhaps my current exhaust is the best I'm going to get!!!! Photo of my exhaust attached.

S1051613.JPG

Gwiz

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 13:49 »
I think I'll stick to my Alko machine.
Modern, still made, parts plentiful......... ;)

grendel

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 19:14 »
Looks in a lot better condition than mine were, but yes thats the beast, the front end of mine were pretty much gone, and I had holes in the sides, the new ones look better, dont blow hot gasses sideways, but pretty much are just as noisy.
Grendel

xx
Mountfield M1 Rotovator

Started by rossco on Equipment Shed

28 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 21:17
by muckshifter
xx
Old Mountfield rotovator

Started by toastedcrumpet on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 17:08
by toastedcrumpet
xx
Mountfield M1 rotovator oil seals

Started by rotokid on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 07, 2008, 08:36
by rotokid
xx
Mountfield M1 Estate rotovator

Started by montygti on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 18, 2020, 15:57
by jezza

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 40 queries.