organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

mkhenry

I bought a rotovator today
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2007, 20:35 »
Quote from: "shaun"
beats all that digging and raking henry

Sure does Thanks Shaun :wink:
Just could not have done it.Just not able to dig anymore.Now I feel like a proper gardener :lol:
I can dig with my 2 handled jobby but so so slowly and it hurts for days and days.Would you believe that on the day the rotavater arrived the wooden handles broke on my spade.So I need to find a Woodturner to make me another pair. :cry:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

shaun

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2007, 20:36 »
you have 2 handles on your spade henry i'm confused now  :?

mkhenry

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2007, 20:43 »
you have 2 handles on your spade henry i'm confused now  :?

Yeb its one of those spades for disabled people.The handles are like an old fashioned bicycle,and it has a large foot pedel and a spring.
You press down with one foot then pull back.The spring flips the soil over for you.Is it called a Terrex :?:
I have had mine for as long as I can remember,but I always kept it behind the shed when not in use,and the wooden handles have suffered.
A woodturner will soon knock me up a pair,if I can find one that is :wink:

shaun

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2007, 20:48 »
is this what they were talking about then ?
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=7759

a woodturner hey now you have me stumped there :wink:
I take it the handles are not straight then ?

mkhenry

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2007, 20:55 »
is this what they were talking about then ?
http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=7759

a woodturner hey now you have me stumped there :wink:
I take it the handles are not straight then ?

Thats the one Shaun. :lol:
The handles are very well designed.They enter the metal tubes by about 2" the external part is bulb shaped just like a handle on a cycle.It makes it all so comfortable that a bit of wood cut to size just wont work as well.
A reproduction of the original handle is what is required.
My hands are very arthritic and the shape and size of the handle sits just right. :wink:

Durgan

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2007, 22:55 »
The Small Roto-tillers. My Experience 2006 (Honda FG110)

Small Cultivators Honda FG110G

The Small Roto-tillers. My Experience 2006

The Small Roto-tillers. Choice of a four stroke Honda or four stroke Mantiss( no personal experience with the Mantis) is excellent NEVER a two stroke. They eventually becomes a hassle when starting, no mattter how careful one is with the gas and oil. I bought mine last year (Honda) and it has to be my most valuable tool in the garden. I use it like a shovel, hoe and rake combined. To plant trees, shrubs and to make a simple hole for some plant, for edging, and working established beds, and for breaking up chunks of earth it cannot be beat. The tine shaft runs about 180 RPM, which is much much faster than larger tillers. No rototiller made will break up sod sufficiently.

The Honda FG110 was used to work reasonably good soil, clay with much compost with no rocks. The area worked was over 1000 square feet. This little tiller did a perfect job. If the tiller got clogged with fiberous plant strings, I simply removed the outer tines and cleared the obstruction within one of two minutes. The tiller engine startes with one or two pulls of the starting cord.

To plant onions I removed the outer two tines and pointed the remaining two inwards and got a perfect row for planting about 4 inches wide. I use the tiller by gently pulling backwards without the drag bar. All the work was done at full throttle as it should be with such a small engine. I consider the operation to be effortless, and the result on the soil is simply not achievable with hand tools.

The noise level is for all intents and purposes not noticable, since it is a four stroke engine. It is well built, and has no appearance of fragility or poor workmanship. I simply carry the tiller from place to place as required, or set it in the wheelbarrow.

To use this small tiller amongst large rocks is misuse in my opinion. I have no rocks. Used with common sense, and not attempting to work it in conditions where a larger machine is clearly required this little machine should last a long time.

To make a small bed I remove the sod with a kick sod cutter, spade the compacted earth to the proper depth, then put the tiller to work to condition the soil. On large chunks it jumps around a little, but that is to be expected. A larger machine simply kicks them out without beating them into small pieces. The result is near perfection. Do a google to find the full specs.

Worrying about turning a garden into flour like soil is probably little to worry about. I have spend my life trying to get the chunks small enough for a good garden. Usually I have had clay, but by adding city compost and composted wood chips the soil is friable.

Don't leave home without it.

xx
Bought a butt today

Started by janiejakemum on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 14:16
by noshed
xx
Just got me rotovator goin again today...

Started by markdelmonte on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 22:15
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Just bought a used BCS 730..

Started by Rhys on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post April 29, 2018, 13:26
by Rhys
xx
guess what ive just bought.

Started by new_2_veg on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post October 09, 2008, 20:02
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 36 queries.