Mountfield Omega 42 HP

• 9 Replies

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
Mountfield Omega 42 HP
« on: July 30, 2009, 19:04 »
I just got a mountfield Omega 42 HP off freecycle. It needs repair to the ratchet mechanism on the pull start because it gets stuck and doesn't recoil. The thing is it has no user manual with it and have no idea how to switch on the ignition or where the choke is. I checked the mountfield site and searched for the model and it gave no results. Has anyone got an electronic copy of the user manual?

Cheers,

David

*edit* I forgot to add it's a mower
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 19:06 by SpudtheBinx »

Bigbadfrankie

Re: Mountfield Omega 42 HP
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 21:00 »
At 42hp it must have V8 engine, no wonder the ratchet is broke :D :unsure: ??? ;)

I suspect its B&S 4.2 and the Gwiz is a past master at explaining the fix
always have a target
and an objective.

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 23:17 »
Oh I can get the engine model number off it in the morning. It's a B&S yes and I don't for a minute believe it's actualy got 42 hp ;) . I can fix the ratchet easy enough but have no clue how to actualy use the engine. Is there a hidden ignition switch for example? Where is the choke?

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 05:54 »
Hello spud,
I'm pretty sure your machine will be a 42cm cut, or as I prefer to call them, about a sixteen inch. I can't remember when I was last next to one of these, but I'd expect that one of the bars on the top of the handles ( usually the one on top ) is the dead mans handle, and needs to be squeezed onto the handles so that you can pull the recoil, it is attached to a flywheel brake and a cut out switch for the ignition usually at the rear, or on the left hand side of the engine.
There are so many different variants of engines used on mowers these days, that it would be useful if you could post a picture. I don't find the engine numbers very helpful personally, unless I'm trying to order bits, a Picture tells me much more!
If your machine has a Briggs engine, it will either have the choke on the carb, or, it may well be a model with a push primer instead, again, a picture will tell us straight away. :)

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 09:38 »
Here are some pics of the engine (I hope!)

Yabba

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 12:33 »
That looks a smidge like our engine, the primer is the round thing in front of the fuel cap ( last pic ), push it in 3 times, grip the handle bar ( ours has a lower bar == cutout ), and pull the cord

Doesn't help with your ratchet problem of course ;)

¥

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 13:27 »
Well I have managed to fudge the ratchet untill I can replace it by removing 5 of the 6 bearings. The problem was the bearings were flicking up onto one another and jamming the mechanism. Another problem I have now come across is the spring for the recoil keeps coming out of the cowling. The metal cowling that it clips onto is worn and needs to be replaced. I guess it's something I can find reasonably easy? I am off to google after lunch with the engine model number :)

Just googled, the ratchet thing is called a starter clutch. Under thirteen quid including vat but no sign of the cowling thing yet
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 13:32 by SpudtheBinx »

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 07:16 »
I'm not 100% sure, but I might have one knocking around at work, if you can't find one locally.

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 08:38 »
Thanks Gwiz :) Like I say I have fudged the clutch for now so that has probably a couple of months life left in it and can easily be bought online. I will look at a way of clamping the spring to the cowling with some small nuts and bolts and if that doesn't work I will let you know :)

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 12:14 »
Well I got it started! I fudged the spring for the recoil by clamping it in with a nut, bolt and spring washer. The starter clutch only has a week or so left in it though so I will be ordering one this weekend. Is it possible to replace it without one of these puller tools? Seems a waste to buy one for a single use.

xx
Mountfield M1

Started by dm1605 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2021, 08:18
by dm1605
xx
Mountfield M1 Rotovator

Started by rossco on Equipment Shed

28 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 21:17
by muckshifter
xx
Mountfield any good?

Started by Rangerkris on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 06:14
by Rangerkris
xx
Mountfield HP470

Started by 34fisher on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 21:38
by 34fisher

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 35 queries.