Ryobi strimmers

• 5 Replies

robinaber

Ryobi strimmers
« on: July 26, 2009, 09:46 »
I know it has been asked before but any up-to-date news would be appreciated. My brother is thinking of buying a Ryobi strimmer with Expand-it tools. Is there anyone on the site who could recommend these please? Or alternatively another make which they are pleased with.

He has a lot of strimming to do and a long Beech hedge to cut. His budget is £250

Gwiz

Re: Ryobi strimmers
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 10:10 »
For that kind of money, you could get two different "cheepy" brand tools, thus not relying on the one "cheepy" engine..... ;)

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 08:54 »
I still stand by my ryobi expand it please allow time for the engine to warm up before its works at it best.  You shold get some extra attachments with that money as well.

There great for the money.
Thanks
Kris

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 10:42 »
I've got a Ryobi brush cutter that also comes with a strimmer attachment (which I haven't used yet) it cost me less than £110 off the internet (though it was on sale - full price about £140 I think) and was invaluable when we cleared the plot which was full of 5ft brambles, bindweed and nettles.  Once hubby got the knack, starting it was not a problem.  If you are interested, PM me and I could dig out the website etc info for you - I'd post it but I'm on a different computer and can't remember it.
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

owein

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 21:37 »
I was happy with mine initially. Then The red nut on the strim head broke clean off, got a replacement sent out which lasted a couple of months and then broke also.

The recoil then broke,the repair man in my local repairshop refused to fix it, saying they don't touch ryobi anymore as they are ****. Fixed it myself after great advice here and it has broken again!

Am now saving for something better

Sorry if this is negative

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 18:33 »
I bought a brush cutter Ryobi expand it last year and for the money I think they are Ok.  The brush cutter came with two alternative strim heads and I've used the one which automatically pays out the line quite a lot and found it very good and convenient.  It looks a well made quality tool.   

On the down side

1   I'd say some of the attachments are not worth bothering with.  The lawn edge trimmer is one such, it's so difficult to use and easy to cause a mess. Good old long handled shears are far easier to use and do a better job. 
2   Another isssue is I find the balance isn't very good particularly it tends to twist in your grip in use ie the motor balances on its side so when you release it it flops over on the strap and it's easy to knock off the ignition switch so it stops.  The lack of balance makes it more tiring to use than I'd like also changing the attachment changes the pivot balance point which needs to be readjusted.
3  The strap spring attachment is hopeless and tends to come unclipped so I tend not to bother using a strap.
4  The engine carborator  cover just clips on and is easy to catch on branches and get pulled off.
5  Finally all the above are just minor irritants compared with the problems I have starting it particularly from a half warmed up condition.  Putting the choke on won't fire it at all and taking the choke off will start it but it cuts out after a few seconds you need to repeatedly start it until it decides it is warmed up enough to run continuously.  This might of course just be a problem with my unit and adjusting the running might solve it but I haven't taken the time to fiddle with it.
It sounds a bit negative but I will say once it's going and warms up it does a good job for not too an expensive price. Though a Makita. Husquavana or Stihl will probably knock spots off it.

If you want another cheap strimmer consider McCulloch.  I've had one for years now about 10 and it's never let me down and starts easily.  It doesn't have the refined looks and features of the Ryobi though.
Regards

« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 10:50 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

xx
Ryobi Strimmers

Started by Pompey Spud on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 11:03
by owein
xx
Strimmers

Started by jude on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2006, 21:03
by Alec Powell
xx
strimmers

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post November 07, 2008, 20:45
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
Petrol Strimmers

Started by brucesgirl on Equipment Shed

17 Replies
Last post February 23, 2008, 20:57
by brucesgirl

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 38 queries.