Flymo DM rotavator advice needed.

• 50 Replies

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 21:52 »
Rain you lucky devil! I just planted about 100 different brassica seedlings today and had to use the post hole digger spade on one bit ! we had a day of rain and can't see much difference and to add insult to injury some nice person had emptied my water butts  :x
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Prof John C Clark

Flymo DM Rotovator drive belt and manual
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 15:27 »
Dear All,
I have just inherited a Flymo DM rotovator!
Unfortunately it is missing it's drive belt.
Can anyone supply the belt size ,part number, maybe  even a supplier and if poss a manual for my personal use.
My other rotovator is a "Merrytiller" which drags me round the allotment like a Ferrari!
While on the subject of ancient garden machinary I also have a  1940's "Rotascythe" which is waiting for my TLC!

cheers

John :tongue2:

davidhunter

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 17:05 »
Hi Prof,

Well if you have heavy clay soil and a bit of rain just before you give the Flymo a go you will end up skiing across the lawn like eddy the eagle as I found out !! Good sun today so hopefully a bit drier.

I think Rich may be the man to ask for the manual I don't want to step on his toes and pass it on just in case. Good luck
David

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 17:30 »
Quote from: "davidhunter"
I think Rich may be the man to ask for the manual I don't want to step on his toes and pass it on just in case.
David

:lol:  no pass it on if ya like no probs  :D

Can anyone supply the belt size ,part number, maybe even a supplier and if poss a manual for my personal use

Yes no probs PM me or David and one of us will send it along, also included is a supplier of a belt that fits perfect, but here it is any way

Spare drive belt available from www.bearing-supplies.co.uk

Catalogue entry :

LGFL3406 Flymo DM Cultivator - Drive from Engine Pulley 51-85856-01
1st number is bearing supplies part no   last number is Flymo part no.

And welcome to the site John  :D

Gwiz

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 17:34 »
flmo dm cultivator belt
the only part number i can find is: 51-85856-01
http://www.bearing-supplies.co.uk/
these folk list a belt against that part number, their part number being; DRY4L220k (0r it could beDRY4C220K, me eyes are tired)
give em a call..... :D

Gwiz

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 17:36 »
there you go then, great minds and all that....

Prof John C Clark

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 17:43 »
many thanks for prompt relply.
I will look out for the manual and get down to beaing supplies for the belt.

cheers

John :D

davidhunter

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 17:48 »
Cheers Rich,

John PM me your email address and I can pass on the manual to you later this evening once I come in from enjoying the sun and probably get burn't as I am a pale face !!

coldan

flymo rotavator runs then dies when hot and won't restart
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 21:56 »
Found this group last week and have already replaced drive belt on my DM rotavator thanks to link to a supplier.  I'm still having problems though in that it starts perfectly when cold but after running for about 15 minutes it starts to "pop" and then dies. It then won't start again. Removing the air cleaner and putting a drop of petrol in sometimes get it to start but not every time. When it has cooled down it starts again without problem. I've had a friend who is good with lawn mower engines strip it down and he can find nothing wrong with the carb or plug, there seems to be a good spark from the plug even when hot. We suspect petrol starvation when hot but can't see why. We are confued by the inner small tank in the fuel tank and the two pipes, one to each of the chambers. Not sure what the purpose of shorter one which goes into the smaller chamber is, or indeed how the fuel gets in there. Any help would be appreciated.

WG.

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 22:06 »
Can't help coldan but welcome to the forum.  Why don't you post on the Welcome thread & introduce yourself?

Gwiz

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2007, 06:10 »
there are a few things that could be wrong with the engine, ranging from the, cor blimey that'll cost yer, to the cheapo end of the scale.

pop along to the welcome page and introduce yourself, and i'll tell you more...... :wink:  :D

davidhunter

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2007, 00:05 »
welcome coldan,
Not sure of what you problem is either, but I have just started using this machine myself. I tried your idea rich about taking the ouver tines off it definately digs in better, espeically once you change the feet around but it was going to take too long to do the whole garden, so on with the outside tines again and I strapped a large heavy density breeze block to it, its great, stops all the shakes and athe vibrations.

One thing though are the edges of the blade that hit the earth reasonably angled on a new machine and mine are just blunt or do the tines normally look totally flat ie. 90 degrees to the ground, just thinking of taking a grinding stone to them to sharpen them up, but worried that this will wear them out very quickly !!

Davy

Gwiz

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2007, 06:49 »
coldan, here are a few idears for you,
1) coil/points condensor problem. sometimes , even though you get a spark when you take the plug out and test it, you dont get a spark under load.
2) diaphram problem. the carb you are describing seems to be a vacujet or a pulsajet model. these will have a diapram. if it hasn't been changed for a while it would be a good idear to do so (they 're cheap)
3) worn piston/cylinder. dose the engine smoke at all?
4) valve seat loose. on rare occasions these can work loose when the engine warms up
5) dodgy gasket. you may have a gasket that is letting in air when the engine gets hot. look at the carb manifold gasket, head gasket (will sound like popping or chuffing like a steam train)

theres a few to be getting on with. let us know how you get on. :D

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2007, 13:10 »
Quote from: "davidhunter"

One thing though are the edges of the blade that hit the earth reasonably angled on a new machine and mine are just blunt or do the tines normally look totally flat ie. 90 degrees to the ground, just thinking of taking a grinding stone to them to sharpen them up, but worried that this will wear them out very quickly !!

Davy

Don't know for sure Davy but here's a pic of my outer tines that may help.

davidhunter

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2007, 18:43 »
Cheers Rich,

Thats pretty much what mine look like. Totally forgot I posted that last night, the grammer is a bit iffy, may have been a bit more drunk than I thought !! lol.

David

xx
Advice Needed On Rotavator

Started by Blister Bob on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post October 09, 2016, 23:52
by Blister Bob
xx
Christmas Present Rotavator advice needed

Started by alisonwo on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post October 16, 2009, 10:01
by Alby
xx
Flymo DM rotavator

Started by stever14 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2010, 05:38
by Gwiz
xx
Flymo Rotavator accessiories

Started by Lotti Digger on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 08:28
by taterfork

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 36 queries.