strimmers

• 4 Replies

Janeymiddlewife

strimmers
« on: November 06, 2008, 22:04 »
As a confirmed technophobe :lol: I am after some advice/recommendations if ya don't mind.
I am thinking a petrol strimmer is better than battery as it has a longer run time - however, as I'm not at all mechanically minded and neither is hubby, how easy are they to start and maintain?
Which ones do you use and cheapest places to get one please.....
(I don't want much do I?)

amc

• Experienced Member
    • Willow & Slate
strimmers
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 08:51 »
Hi I bought a Spear & Jackson strimmer/brushcutter from the argos sale this year. It was, i think, £65 and the purely strimmer model was £49(?)

You do have to read the instructions properly to follow the sequence to start it, but you soon get the hang of it. It also requires some final assembly. I've not done any maintenance on it yet but the instructions detail about cleaning filters, storing when not in use etc.

It seems very similar to all cheaper 2 stroke petrol strimmers out there, and yes its as noisy as all 2 strokes. Buy some cheap ear defenders (about £4)

Oh both these models come with a 2 year warranty too. Richyrich7 bought one earlier in the year too I seem too recall.

If you want relaibilty and quietness and money is no object I'd go for a Honda 4 stroke strimmer (easily £250 plus)

amc

Gwiz

strimmers
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 12:26 »
Hello Janey,
I bought one of those Spear and Jackson ones either this year or last.
For the money I reckon it's about the best deal going. Please remember though, As it's made in China, Getting parts for it will be "interesting"
I've found ours to be easy to start, and very reliable.

compostqueen

strimmers
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 12:31 »
We have a Stihl on the plots for heavy duty clearing and it's very light which is a consideration for women who are using these machines. Dear though but they seem to be popular

My husband had a run-in with a black and decker electric one, with a plastic line, and he cut his face from one side to the other. He never used it again and I sold it on.  Patent lesson in wearing the proper gear!

At least you don't get that problem with a petrol one

Janeymiddlewife

strimmers
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 20:45 »
Thanks guys - have finally gone for a ryobi brush cutter petrol jobby and persuaded hubby to contribute for my birthday/Christmas pressie - he just sighed - but i've never been one for undies or perfume :oops:  - at least it's something I'll really want :lol:

xx
Strimmers

Started by jude on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2006, 21:03
by Alec Powell
xx
Petrol strimmers

Started by wighty on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post March 20, 2009, 09:29
by waddecar
xx
Battery strimmers

Started by mumofstig on Equipment Shed

24 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 13:43
by Gwiz
xx
Ryobi strimmers

Started by robinaber on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 18:33
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 35 queries.