power: help and advice please

• 8 Replies

neil1967

« on: April 12, 2008, 12:32 »
As most people I have a lot of work that needs to be done on the lottie, shed to build, grass paths to cut lots of tall weeds to knock down etc..
I already have all the tools I need to do these jobs but are all plug in electicals. Rather than buy all new rechargable or petol tools I need to know what would be best a power inverter (I can get my car next to the plot) or a generator and also need to know what power rating i would need.

any help would be appreciated.

Neil

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 13:20 »
Right! This is from a quick look around the web courtesy of Mr. Google.

The first thing to do is for you to finf out the highest power rating of the tools you are going to use. An electric drill for example can go up to 800W. You would therefore need an inverter capable of delivering 1kW, maybe 1.5kW to be on the safe side. A superfical search has found these at £80 & £130 respectively, there may be cheaper.

HOWEVER, 800W at 12v equals a current drain of 66.66 Amps, neglecting any inefficiency in the inverter. IMHO this would also equal a quickly knackered battery!

A quick search on ebay shows a 2.5 kVA generator at £200 including shipping. If I was considering doing the same thing as you, I think this is the way I'd go, even though the initial outlay is more.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

neil1967

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 13:40 »
Thanks, that was the info I needed, not very good at ratings and all,
to me 3 pin plug fits in 3 pin socket.

Equipment to be run would be lawn mower, strimmer, circular and jig saw type of thing (one 1 at a time though).

Aldi have a 1050W generator  for £70 on thusday hope when i find the rating info on my tools it will be capable of doing the job

Thanks again

Neil

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 13:46 »
I would think that should be sufficient, just see if you can find the power rating on the circular saw, that could be the highest rated one.

Looks a good buy, bit tempted myself, not for power tools but for my portable amateur radio equipment!

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 15:05 »
Simply great value for money. This generator will ensure that you get power to the job, however remote the location.

1050W (maximum), 950W continuously rated 2 stroke generator
2 × 13 amp sockets
8 litre fuel tank
12V DC Output
Volt meter
Protective frame with drip guards

ok...this is my question guys being totally blonde and girly when it comes to these things but....12v output....would that run my electric strimmer??  :shock:

oh yes....what is this two stroke thingy about then? can anyone explain in VERY simple terms please?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 15:39 »
Quote from: "Swee'pea"
Simply great value for money. This generator will ensure that you get power to the job, however remote the location.

2 × 13 amp sockets
8 litre fuel tank
12V DC Output
Volt meter

ok...this is my question guys being totally blonde and girly when it comes to these things but....12v output....would that run my electric strimmer??  :shock:

oh yes....what is this two stroke thingy about then? can anyone explain in VERY simple terms please?

If you plug your strimmer into the mains - yes - you use the 'normal' looking 2 pin sockets, same as you get in the house.

The big question is - how do you USUALLY run your strimmer?

Swee'pea

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 15:44 »
Quote from: "DD."

2 × 13 amp sockets
8 litre fuel tank
12V DC Output
Volt meter

would also mean I'd have a power supply for cutting or drilling to make my raised beds and anything else that needs electric supply..

If you plug your strimmer into the mains - yes - you use the 'normal' looking 2 pin sockets, same as you get in the house.

I normally plug it into the socket in my kitchen but even with the best will in the world my longest extension lead ain't gonna reach to my lottie * :D *
I fancy getting one of these to take down there so I can use my strimmer and not have to fork out for a petrol jobbie ( seems a waste of hard earned cash if this would power it) I just don't want to blow the strimmer and the lottie up lol

my only other concern is this two stroke thing.....am I going to have to mess around mixing stuff up in the right quantities or will I be able to toddle down to local garage, purchase litre of unleaded and all systems are go?  :shock:

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 17:12 »
Quote from: "neil1967"
Thanks, that was the info I needed, not very good at ratings and all,
to me 3 pin plug fits in 3 pin socket.

Equipment to be run would be lawn mower, strimmer, circular and jig saw type of thing (one 1 at a time though).

Aldi have a 1050W generator  for £70 on thusday hope when i find the rating info on my tools it will be capable of doing the job

Thanks again

Neil

I would whole heartedly agree with DD regarding the petrol genny, but would point out that most of the 'leccky mowers i have seen are over the 2Kw rate, so you would need to get a bigger one.
just remember, 1KW = 1000 watts, 2Kw =2000watts and so on

Gwiz

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 17:19 »
Quote from: "DD."

2 × 13 amp sockets
8 litre fuel tank
12V DC Output
Volt meter

would also mean I'd have a power supply for cutting or drilling to make my raised beds and anything else that needs electric supply..

I normally plug it into the socket in my kitchen but even with the best will in the world my longest extension lead ain't gonna reach to my lottie * :D *
I fancy getting one of these to take down there so I can use my strimmer and not have to fork out for a petrol jobbie ( seems a waste of hard earned cash if this would power it) I just don't want to blow the strimmer and the lottie up lol

my only other concern is this two stroke thing.....am I going to have to mess around mixing stuff up in the right quantities or will I be able to toddle down to local garage, purchase litre of unleaded and all systems are go?  :shock:

There are so many types of petrol equipment on the market now, you have to be sure of what you're buying before parting with the readys.
You CAN buy a four stroke srimmer, but these are quite expensive.
A lot of the cheaper range of tools and generators seem to be two stroke, this is because two stroke engines have fewer moving parts within them, making them cheaper to manufacture. You can't buy already mixed two stroke from the garage anymore, I think this died out in the sixties (mores the pity ) but there are a lot of mixing bottles around and about that make getting the mixture right far easier. :wink:  :D

xx
Power Craft 650 w power generator 2 stroke

Started by Fluff on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2007, 20:18
by muntjac
xx
Power

Started by Dantheman on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post September 06, 2013, 09:47
by Wavertree Red
xx
Allotment Power

Started by jcbuz1970 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 13:57
by Etheldreda
xx
Power Rake!

Started by Baz on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post August 03, 2007, 16:57
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 35 queries.