mountfield lawnmower not starting

• 42 Replies

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2008, 10:14 »
massive thank you

to Gwiz for the help with my other halfs mower and sorting me out with some spares, received them yesterday and followed the advice given on the springs between dori and gwiz, fitted the new parts tightened/sealed everything up, filled up and pulled . . . . .  went after a couple of tugs and now runs way way better than it did when i got it going last week.

sounds miles smoother and the engine now runs at a normal speed instead of  full belt lol  :shock:

made the OH's day when it trimmed the grass yesterday as it was originally her dads mower who died sadly a couple of years ago and it's not been run since the last time it was borrowed out to someone to cut her grass while her dad was in hospital, so thanks once again for helping me get it going as some things in life  are priceless  

:D

Gwiz

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2008, 12:38 »
Gee, shucks :oops:
helping each other out is, if you ask me, what life is all about.
I'm sure that Dori will feel the same.
It's been a pleasure, and I'm happy that your OH is pleased with your
efforts! :D

jarigo

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2008, 22:27 »
Hi daveinmanc,
 Newbie on here but as a retired mechanic I wonder if this is the first time you have tried to start it this year as I have found the petrol from last year has gone stale. Best to drain all fuel and refresh with new.Hope this helps .

wiggum

Similar Issue
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2008, 14:40 »
Hi there, a bit new to this so apologies if this is impropper.
I have the same set up here and have taken over a mountfield 46PD and I to have some spring issues. The picture here was very useful and the descriptions as well.

I'm not sure if the springs are correct but when in the positions as described they seem to have no effect on the movement of the butterfly valve at all.

I can get the mower to start and rev nicely  by manually moving the valve. Any help greatly appreciated.

Gwiz

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2008, 17:54 »
hi, Wiggum.
Are you able to post a picture of your set up? if they are placed in the positions that i described earlier in this thread, then you should get the maximum amount of rev range.
Having said that, these engines shuld tick over at 1000 rpm, and max will be around 3000 (ish) rpm, much more than this and you will damage the engine.
If you don't use your finger on the butterfly valve, is the engine "hunting"?

wiggum

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2008, 08:35 »
Many thanks for the reply, I will take a picture and then try and work out how to add it to here.

The engine seems to tick over fine once started, there just seems to be no difference in the revs at all when I operate the throttle set up with the springs as they are.

Pics to come as soon as I can get them on here.
Thanks again.

wiggum

Mower picture
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2008, 11:06 »
ok here is a picture I hope. I have the large spring disconnected at the moment but hopefully you get the jist.

Thanks again for any help

Gwiz

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2008, 11:18 »
have another bash at getting the photo on. :D

wiggum

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2008, 12:17 »
Hi sorry about that, no idea why it won't appear, the url is correct so I'll see if I can post it as a url instead?

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2292711250056742630vhIdob?vhost=good-times

Gwiz

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2008, 14:20 »
I don't know if it's either my eyesight, or the photo, but the small spring looks like it's twisted. It shouldn't be tight at all. If that's not the case, I would suggest that you need a new diaphragm and the filters cleaned on the end of the pick up pipes in the fuel tank. The springs look like they are in excately the right places.
The diaphragms will go "baggy" over time anyway, and that process is speeded up if petrol is left in the mower over winter. try replacing the 'phram. thats what I would start with. I replace loads ever year, and more often than not, that solves the problem.  :wink:

wiggum

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2008, 14:49 »
many thanks for the prompt reply gwiz. I will take a look at the spring as you suggest. I was just concerned that manually moving the throttle mechanism where the cable attatches to seems to have no influence over the springs and thus over the throttle.

Moving the butterfly manually however does make the engine rev fine so I think all is well other than the connection of throttle to butterfly gubbins.

So I am moving the lug on the right of the picture next to the letter 'n' of mountfiled towards the primer button and neither of the springs move much at all. I would have thought that moving this as described would pull on the butterfly doo-dah to the right of the hose? I am using the reference to the picture here for my clarity in case I am using incorrect terminology here and you may mistakenly assume some competence on my part :)

Thanks again.

Gwiz

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2008, 18:06 »
if you have a look at where the large spring attatches to the moveable lever that is operated by the throttle cable, you might find that by bending it out so that it stretches the spring a little more gives the effect that you want. But please do remember that the engine should only rev to 3000 rpm max.
The reason I was banging on about the diagphram was because if they are worn, they wont pump up the right amount of fuel to the carb. this can have the effect of not giving a correct throttle response.
looking at your photo again, what is the other end of the large spring attatched to? that might be where the problem. I've gotta get a new screen or new eyes or something!

wiggum

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2008, 08:31 »
thanks again gwiz
The large spring is on this picture disconnected at one end although it does connect to the loop on the wire where the small spring is also attached.

I will try and source a throttle cable as the one on here at the moment is broken at the handle end, put it all back together and see what happens. I will also have a go at bending the throttle slightly to see if I can get some movement.

many thanks :)

xx
Lawnmower help please

Started by Maryann on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 17:25
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Lawnmower question

Started by marklad on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2008, 00:02
by Fordham
xx
Looking for a new lawnmower or brushcutter

Started by Dominic on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 11:27
by Dominic
xx
My Lawnmower Engine

Started by cray0752 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2008, 12:29
by cray0752

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 36 queries.