Fork that's robust?

• 7 Replies

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
Fork that's robust?
« on: April 06, 2023, 10:13 »
I've got other fiskars things (scissors, pruners) but I'm wondering whether to get a fork like this .. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiskars-1003458-Solid-Garden-Fork/dp/B00J7PWW1O/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2FP24SJPS55LA&keywords=fiskars%2Bfork&qid=1680772286&sprefix=fiskars%2Bfork%2Caps%2C239&sr=8-3&th=1
Most people seem happy with them but a few of the reviews say the tines bend easily.
Anyone got one & can tell me what the quality is like?
Thanks,
Windy.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 09:35 by coldandwindy »

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
Re: Fiskars fork - robust?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 12:01 »
Obviously no one has one! :D

Maybe I should have just asked "which fork?" , anyone ?!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Fork that's robust?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2023, 14:30 »
I have a Wilkinson Sword stainless steel fork and spade pair, that are probably about 20 years old and still going strong.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 14:56 »
When the one I had for 20 years went walk about I replaced it with a Wilkinson Sword one from Robert Dyas that's doing just fine so far.

jezza

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 08:46 »
I have my Grandads fork it's an old Belway (Bulldog )on its 2and handle in 80 years,and that wouldn't have needed replacing if some silly sod hadn't hit it with the rotavator,  jezza

jezza

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 06:52 »
I have a C K fork and spade that are stainless steel wouldn't be with out them for clay soil,spade is mainly used to dig holes for cremated remains ,a little bit of dignity     jezza

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2023, 09:02 »
We got a bulldog spade and fork which are well built. Another thought is go to some sort of antique place where they sell old tools as they will be better made and last longer.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 15:16 »
IMO, the key is the tines and how they are shaped and what they are made from.

Tines should be as thick as possible.  Preferably square in cross section, not D-shaped with thin edges. A good steel is important.

It is hard to tell much regarding these characteristics from an Amazon ad.  I will admit the Spear & Jackson in the same link caught my eye. It had me at "Solid forged from a single piece of steel for great strength".  The tines look right in one of the close-up photos. That isn't a brand we have over here, so I don't know their reputation.

I have one that is similarly constructed that is 30 years old.  Wedding present. I think it was from Gardener's Supply, but the brand name has worn off.

Any garden fork can be bent or broken. If you routinely need to turn rocky or rooted ground, and find yourself needing to exert a lot of pressure on the fork, get a good long-handled mattock or pickaxe to go with the fork.  Or a digging bar.  I sometimes need to excavate small quartz boulders, so I have both a pickaxe and a digging bar.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 21:25 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Robust cordless strimmer?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 12:01
by New shoot
xx
New fork

Started by Plot94 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post October 21, 2019, 19:13
by jezza
xx
Fork

Started by Flump on Equipment Shed

12 Replies
Last post November 19, 2012, 16:16
by arugula
xx
which fork to buy

Started by toodoo9011 on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2016, 15:49
by snow white

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 44 queries.