GG's greenhouse needs some TLC.

• 3 Replies

Goosegirl

GG's greenhouse needs some TLC.
« on: February 16, 2021, 17:20 »
Mods, please move as appropriate.
I really want to spruce up my old inherited greenhouse but, after spending some time using a plant label and the splintered end of an old bamboo cane to remove the accumulations of moss and other bits of grunge from the edges of the glass panes both inside and outside, finding that the previous owner has bolted on some safety glass on the original panes in a couple of places where lots of algae have taken a like to and no way can I can't get anything down there to remove it, tried sanding down an aluminium support strap in case it might look somewhat better and might as well not have bothered then wondered about using some light oak Briwax to seal the surface so it doesn't deteriorate, cleaned out the bits of guttering where the door opens then applied some 3-in-1 oil to stop it making the most awful pig-squealing noise only to find that it made not the slightest bit of difference plus the left-hand side needs a little jiggling to set it back on its track, I kinda lost a little bit of heart today as I planned to paint it with some dark green smooth Hammerite to make it look nicer. Anyone got any suggestions?
GG's greenhouse (600 x 450).jpg
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Fishplate42

• Expert novice.
Re: GG's greenhouse needs some TLC.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 23:35 »
Hi GG, I have just refurbished our old aluminium greenhouse after being in store for 15 years. It was in service in our old garden until it was taken down to make way for a workshop. It has been stored in a barn ever since. It was absolutely filthy, and 'decorated' by the resident bird population. 

A wash and a scrub with a Brillo pad cleaned up all the sections. The glass was scraped with a Stanley knife blade and then washed using soapy water and one of those cheap scouring sponges. It was then rinsed off with clean water and dried with newspaper. It now looks great. I would not recommend you try to paint yours as you will be giving yourself a maintenance problem for the future. Apart from that it is not easy to get paint to stick to old aluminium. Also. unless you strip it down to its component parts, you will not be able to get to all the areas covered by the glass.

I am not sure what you mean regarding the hardened glass, but the glass is easy to replace and can usually be found on the 'free' stuff sites like freecycle and facebook marketplace. When I was rebuilding mine I was looking for some free glass and ended up with a whole greenhouse for free! As it was a green powder coated one we rebuilt that too and had to find the glass elsewhere, which we did a few weeks later. We now have two fully restored greenhouses in our back garden, one green and the other silver. One advantage is that we now refer to them by their colour and everybody knows what we are talking about.

Ralph. 
I need more space...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 11:31 »
Mods, please move as appropriate.

I have moved this but it would be better to post in the right section of the forum to start with.  We are all unpaid volunteers doing this is our spare time after all  :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 13:21 »
Pardon me.

xx
What Greenhouse

Started by Shadrak on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 16:38
by Shadrak
xx
Greenhouse

Started by JamesD on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 23:16
by hindy
xx
Greenhouse - Yay!

Started by ytyynycefn on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2006, 08:15
by dobby
xx
Greenhouse

Started by dexyblue on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 23:08
by dexyblue

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 40 queries.