Hose pipe recommendations please

• 4 Replies

ghost61

Hose pipe recommendations please
« on: June 07, 2016, 19:40 »
This is the first year that we are being allowed to use hosepipes on the allotment.  Ours has driven me mad as it 'finds' every obstacle and kinks whenever it can.  Anyone out there got the perfect hose that doesn't kink and is very flexible?  Desperate as I got very frustrated today and went back to the watering can!

lettice

Re: Hose pipe recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 20:47 »
Probably might help you, I have two very long hoses, both from the 1950s/60s (well the boxes look like they are from that era and not earlier) that I inherited from one of my Grandad's when he died in the 90s.
It just refuses to kink and it gets wrapped on and off hoselocks every night and has been faultless for a good few decades for me and I remember using them in the 1960s as a kid in my Grandad's veg garden.
Assume its made of rubber and has a weave within it that stops it kinking. It even has a label that it is safe to drink water from it, that always makes me smile.

My neighbour did have one of those shrinking ones, but it just got tangled up and was quite a chore each time to release back.
But he bought a Draper Heavy Duty hose from a builders yard, although made of pvc it does have fibres within it that stop any kinking.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 20:52 by lettice »

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 21:53 »
I have a couple of lengths of 3/4" tetraplex hose that was given to me by a friend who has a drainage business. I need 3/4" as I have water pumps with 3/4" fittings.

I also have 4 x 50m Hozelock  Ultimate  hoses that I use to pipe water from home to the plot and a 25m one that I connect to my IBCs to use around the plot

In my experience, unless you buy cheap hose, it depends on how you treat it. Keep it coiled when not in use and don't walk on it. It's much easier to handle if it is on a reel, if you unroll it from the tap to where you want to use it, it shouldn't kink at all.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 10:01 »
I have an 'expanding' hose pipe, and it's fabulous!  Very light and doesn't kink at all.  The one I bought is triple layer and has brass fittings (some have plastic, which could cause problems after a few years).  The only down side is that it needs fairly good water pressure.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 11:20 »
I messed around with various cheap hoses and got totally irritated with kinking. Like a previous poster, eventually I bit the bullet and paid extra for Hoselock's 50 metre reels and have had no more problems in the ten years or so since.

Old adage "You generally get the quality you pay for"

xx
Hose pipe fittings

Started by MoreWhisky on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 21:22
by MoreWhisky
xx
Recommendations needed for a good hose.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 22:55
by Bombers
xx
Hose pipes

Started by cc on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2019, 09:28
by sunshineband
xx
Spray hose

Started by Nij48 on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 20:13
by grendel

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 35 queries.