orchids

• 4 Replies

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
orchids
« on: April 05, 2016, 18:53 »
I have bought a few orchids but can't keep them for long, or get them to flower after the original flower that was on when I bought it has gone.
What should I do to get more flowers?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: orchids
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 19:07 »
Are they Phalanopsis (Moth orchids)?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 14:28 »
I have had them and other ones, they all go the same way. I don't over water them.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 16:05 »
I usually manage to keep mine going and usually flower again too.

Watering is once a week... a good soak for half an hour, then leave to drain before putting back into the pot cover or onto the saucer. Phalanopsis need clear pots as their roots thrive with algae growing on them, which need some light, but they are fine with an additional pot cover as long as it is tightly fitting.

I spray a very dilute plant food onto the leaves every other week, whilst the pot is draining -- in the sink as it saved it going all over the cupboard etc lol. I do not spray flowers or flower buds and make sure none collects in the junction where the leaves grow out from with Phalanopsis. Others don't have this and it does not matter if the spray goes on the pseudobulbs for example.

They live in a well it spot out of direct sun: some are on a North facing windowsill (not above a radiator) but others are inside a South facing room, but not in the sunshine itself.

Dendrobiums, which are the ones like canes with leaves sticking out, need the same treatment

The ones with the long, strap-like leaves  (Cymbidiums) like to go outside in a shady spot in the Summer and I don't feed them then, but start again when they come back in mid September.

I rarely repot any of mine, only if the substrate is starting to break down.

Does that help at all?

If you have any other kinds I might be able to help as I do have a few

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 10:00 »
Thanks, Sunshine.
I don't have my presently surviving one in a clear pot, so I can change that.
What did you mean by an 'additional tightly fitting' pot cover?
I usually water mine by pouring some water on and leaving it with a small amount in the bottom of the saucer, so I can change that as well.
I have never sprayed mine, so thanks for that advice.
I put one out in the greenhouse once but the sun burned the leaves. It was probably too hot and in direct sunlight.
I had a really nice scented one once, but I don't know what sort it was. It did not last long. If I remember right the leaves were upright, more like hyacinth leaves than the more hardy ones.

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 38 queries.