hunched up, mucky rear

• 4 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
hunched up, mucky rear
« on: January 10, 2011, 16:00 »
Aggie, one of my older ex-bats has been looking under the weather for a week or two.

Although she is still interacting with the other girls she tends to stand hunched/fluffed up and has a mucky back end. I have bathed her a couple of times so the muck doesn't build up and dried her each time with a hairdryer - which she loves!

She is eating well and drinking, is having no breathing problems, her eyes seem bright but her comb has shrunk and faded. Her droppings range from normal to runny, sometimes the white is yellowy. She still runs around the garden with the others and holds her own in the fight for treats in the afternoon.

She stopped laying back in August while she moulted and, with the exception of a couple of surprises in December, has not laid since (not a concern at her age).

I feed my girls on free range layers pellets and add either ACV or Lifeguard to the drinking water; they also have mixed corn in the afternoon, cooked veg every other day and a couple of handfuls of mealworms scattered once a week. They were all dusted with louse powder a week ago and wormed in November.

Any ideas please?

bantam novice

Re: hunched up, mucky rear
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 19:47 »
Sorry to hear about Aggie.  :(
No advice I'm afraid, just wanted to wish you good Luck  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 21:43 »
sorry to say but it could be her age  :(. when was she last wormed? The weather may not be helping her as she is considered elderly for an ex batt, just keep up the good work with her care.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 22:34 »
Thanks for your wishes.

She was wormed in November, I wormed them twice as it was later than planned due to unforeseen circumstances. Aggie & Dixie Lee are the only two remaining from the rescue back in March 09, but I realise they've done really well to last this long. More than anything they've now had a longer life of freedom than they had caged so that's a huge bonus!

I've got some Baytril & some metronizole tablets - is it worth trying her on either? They were originally prescribed for other birds but am not sure if they are specifically for respiratory problems or if they are a broad spectrum anti-biotic. I don't want to try something just for the sake of it...

I'll keep you posted on her progress, she's been through "down" times before but always seems to bounce back     :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 22:36 by Catsmuvva »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 22:37 »
never used either of those but I do think Baytril is a broad spectrum AB.

xx
Mucky bottom, waddling and hunched up.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 13:30
by helens-hens
xx
chicken still has a mucky rear end!!

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 17:22
by animal mad
xx
Hunched ill hen

Started by Under The Hill on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2019, 18:03
by sunshineband
xx
Hunched up hen?

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 20:16
by lucylou

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 39 queries.