Driving when banned

• 13 Replies

mrs bouquet

Driving when banned
« on: May 30, 2018, 21:41 »
A good friend of mine has a very long term partner who has dementia and has had to surrender his licence and cannot drive his car anymore (he is 80, she is nowhere near that age).  He was diagnosed about 2 years ago, and about the same time bought a new car.  He has in that time just moved it across their front parking area.   Today she told me that he has now very recently driven it in the Village on a couple of occasions.
I was so shocked, and said, oh well if he gets caught, he will perhaps go into custodial care.  Her reply was that he would only get told off, due to his circumstances.  I did venture to say that she might not think that if she happened to be walking in the village (no pavements) perhaps with a dog or child and was run-over.
She can get a bit ....if she doesn't like the turn of conversation, and said well I am  not going to lose sleep over it.
I feel anxious that gaining confidence, he might do it again, and maybe go further.
I feel that the car keys should be taken far away from him, but I know she finds him a very frightening, and will just keep the peace.
So there is nothing more I can do or say.  Maybe somebody else in the village will see him and report it to the authorities.    She is often out (to get away from him) and he will probably do it when she's not there.
I feel really churned up and anxious, and wish she hadn't told me  (we were at a WI tea party !), because if I had seen him, I would have reported him.    But I can only sit and worry.
Sorry to off load on you.  regards Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

jezza

Re: Driving when banned
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 21:57 »
hi remind your friend that he is probably not insured and the car will be untaxed can they afford the fines is there a local police community support officer that could have a word or a member of the WI who might be a magistrate who could have words    jezza

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 08:05 »
It needs more than a gentle word. If the driver is involved in ANY sort of accident the consequences will be very severe. The rules about driving when banned are there for a reason.

My dad is an Honorary Police assistant and when I was discussing insurance for my 125cc scooter he warned against getting Third Party only as any incident against me from an uninsured driver means I won't get any support from my insurers and I would have to pursue a Civil action against the other person.

I would suggest a call to your local 101 Police and ask to discuss the situation with a Traffic officer. He needs to be reminded why he is off the road. If you leave it and he kills someone, you are going to feel rotten. The neighbour has closed off the conversation so it now needs someone official to make the point.

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:29 »
You are in a very difficult position - damned if you do, and damned if you don't, but I must say I agree with Daniel, you would feel dreadful if he continued to drive and caused serious injury or worse to someone else. It would probably be best to have a quiet word with someone in authority before something awful happens, but, of course, this is a decision you alone can make.  You wouldn't be doing this in a malicious way, but just trying to protect everyone concerned, including the gentleman doing the driving and his wife.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 08:58 »
I also agree with Daniel's advice for all the reasons given. A chat with your local Community Warden if you have one, in confidence, or a 101 call, is definitely the way forward to protect everyone, including your neighbour

I hope this all helps you decide how to handle this situation Mrs B, sooner rather than later, as clearly your neighbour's wife feels unable to do anything practical in the circumstances
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Elaine G

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 21:37 »
I am in agreement with the above posts.

I would also like to add, it's half term. We only did a few miles today but did two 'almost emergency' stops when children stepped onto the road - phew!
Would he be able to stop?
You are in a very difficult situation and I wish you well.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

al78

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 00:09 »
I think it needs rfeporting to the police. It is a public safety issue. A motor vehicle is a dangerous machine. Would you be happy boarding an aircraft if you knew the pilot was diagnosed as unfit to fly?

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 11:52 »
I also totally agree with all the above comments. To add to this, if she ignores the situation and something bad happens she could possibly get into trouble herself for not doing enough to prevent him driving.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 12:25 »
In the village square, we have recently had areas laid around the corners to imitate pavement.  They are not very wide, and had to be the same colour as the road, and they are not raised.  Where the pub is on a very blind corner that leads to the school, the pub has decorated the walkway with A-Boards - what chance have you got.   My friend hasn't told me he has done it again.  If, however, I hear that he has I shall take actions and inform Old Bill.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 15:16 »
I agree will all the above posts.

The man is not responsible for his own actions as he has dementia. But those around him that turn a blind eye will certainly be responsible for any accidents, injuries or deaths that he may cause !

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 15:28 »
This might be of help:

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/staying-independent/when-dvla-decides-person-must-stop-driving#content-start

If the person refuses to stop driving

Some people who have been assessed by DVLA/DVA as being unsafe still refuse to stop driving. This may be despite their doctor's advice and people's attempts to encourage them to stop, and suggesting other alternatives. It can be a very difficult and upsetting situation for both the person and their family.

It is important to recognise that the person is probably not being deliberately difficult. Instead, the dementia itself may mean that the person does not realise how their symptoms affect their driving. In some cases the person may be in denial about their diagnosis, or keep forgetting that their licence has been cancelled.

In such cases the person's doctor or family should write in confidence to DVLA/DVA. The agency will follow things up with the local police. Many carers choose to hide the car keys or - if these are options - sell the car or park it where it is not a constant visible reminder. If you are supporting a person with dementia who is refusing to stop driving and need help, call Alzheimer's Society's National Dementia Helpline on 0300 222 1122 or talk to others on the online discussion forum, Talking Point.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 21:45 »
thanks for that info, I shall copy that, if I may, and keep it until a suitable moment.  Mrs Bouquet

grinling

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 13:27 »
Have a word with the district council about the A boards as they are causing an obstuction.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 14:21 »
thanks Grinling, I'll do that, Mrs B

xx
Tomato seeds are banned!

Started by hasbeans on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post May 04, 2018, 16:35
by hasbeans
xx
driving licences

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post May 08, 2019, 21:09
by jezza
xx
Driving Licence

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2020, 06:34
by GraciesGran
xx
Renewing my Driving Licence

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2020, 14:40
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 53 queries.