Compost/Material for Raised Beds

• 5 Replies

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
Compost/Material for Raised Beds
« on: December 12, 2009, 12:58 »
Hello, I am changing my method of growing toms, chillis etc in the greenhouse. Previously, I have always used growbags and compost filled pots. I am now creating raised beds in the greenhouse. What planting material should I use within the raised beds? I have got access to good old rotten horse manure. Soil I can bring from the lottie. Is that it, a mixture of both? Or should I be adding other sorts of material? Is it advisable to change the material after each growing season? Each raised bed (one either side of middle path) is approx 66ins x 27ins. The soil in my postage size back garden is 99% clay. Any and all information much appreciated. Thanks.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Compost/Material for Raised Beds
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 14:01 »
I would certainly ensure some soil (or compost).  Manure has very little nutrient value so won't be enough on its own.

And yes, I would personally change the soil if you are to grow the same crops there in following years, or you run the risk of build-up of pests and diseases, and the soil becomes depleted of nutrients.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 16:21 »
If your soil is clay based, I would add some sharp sand or grit for drainage. Manure will help with humus content and water retention when needed. Soil should be changed to prevent build up of diseases but I'm not sure just how often. I haven't changed mine for five years with no problem as I started with a basic clay soil after the g'house was erected then built it up with manure and sharp sand plus spare, used compost. I am thinking of replacing all the soil by digging out a spade's depth and swopping it with soil from my raised beds.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 20:54 »
I use 50:50 well rotted manure and home-made-compost in the greenhouse, change it each year, and put it where the Potatoes were (Toms and Pots share same bugs) thus greenhouse is final-stage of composting process :)

Beware that raised beds in greenhouse will reduce height to eaves/ridge, and thus you may get fewer trusses before Toms hit the roof. I've excavated my greenhouse borders to increase soil-to-roof height (so more "raised path" rather than "raised beds" :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 22:37 »
That's what we've done in our greenhouse at school, Kristen and the extra height is useful.... until the children fall off the path of course  ???

Only a four inch drop but enough to cause a fright whne you are four years old and face down amongst the tomato stems  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 22:53 »
Sorry but that did make me larf :happy: :happy:

xx
New Raised Beds and Some Old Compost?

Started by MattieG on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 15:53
by MattieG
xx
compost for raised beds

Started by mat whitlock on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 12, 2016, 20:35
by mat whitlock
xx
Raised beds, compost query.

Started by retrorose on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 23:18
by John
question
compost query in raised beds

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2016, 11:42
by rookie1

Page created in 0.383 seconds with 40 queries.