PLanting distances in raised beds

• 25 Replies

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 13:52 »
Most veg have variable recommended growing depths, carrots for example can be grown in 4 inches if you like a small sweet crop. I grew some in 6 inch pots last year and they were small but tasty.

However this year I have constucted 14 inch raised beds with a further 12 inches of soil below that for a bit of extra depth. I can't say how this is going to work but other more experienced posters on this site will tell you.

I have a book on container veg and it tells you both minimum and recommended depths for planting. A google search will tell you this info.

Good luck.
Gardening with intent to cultivate.

Bear

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 13:54 »
Most people say 12 inches is about right. Mine are going to be more like 20 ins but I'm experimenting a little.

You could still put sprouts into a large pot (1 per pot) and at least you could really firm the soil in that - that may work

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 14:13 »
Have a look at this link it gives depths and numbers!!  :wink:
Hi Joker !!

http://www.organicgarden.org.uk/SqFt/start_now.htm
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

woodburner

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 14:20 »
Quote from: "Celtic Eagle"
Feef

The theory says plant out at equal spacing, same distance betwwen plants in row as between rows  So working from ther the planting distance is always the row distsnce on the packet.  Now some people claim you can plant a lot close where it should be 18" plant at 12" roughly cut all your spacin by a third.

I guess I must be one of those people then ;) because it's not necessary to put the whole row spacing between plants as well. The important thing is the area per plant.
Because the distance between rows is so great to allow for the hoe and feet, plants are actually much closer within the row. The ideal distance between plants in a block is between these two. If you work out the area allowed for each plant then work out the dimensions of a square or circle with that same area, that will be the ideal spacing within a block.

Also, very often, the instructions are for growing maximum sized veg for show, if you want smaller more "kitchen sized" onions or couliflower for example you can reduce the space a bit more. Obviously it doesn't work for everything though.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

No1Joker

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 14:57 »
:D Thanks for the Sq foot garden page  :D  flowerlady

I have printed it out and read it all twice! Mine won't be exactly square but i'll use the same principal.

Thanks for the pot idea for brussels, it'll be a while but i'll take photos and let you know the results.

My gran has given me coat hangers and net curtains for protection against carrot fly, so i'll be a busy boy if the heavy rain holds off.

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 15:45 »
Glad you liked the link Joker ... we will extect phots you know ... especially with Gran's net curtains !!  :wink:  :lol:

purplebean

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 16:17 »
I work on the square foot principle so I plant everything closer than suggested. I am interested in getting the maximum from each bit of soil and don't mind if the individual veggies are smaller  :D I cram it all in veg and flowers to keep the beasties away

This post has a picture of one of my beds last yearSquare foot

No1Joker

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 21:00 »
It was no use trying to delay the construction!  :lol:

I has taken just under a week, but the work is done and i have taken some pictures for you to marvel at  :wink:

Flickr Lotty Photos

Ruby Red

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 08:33 »
This is really aimed at purplebean or flowerlady with your square foot gardening. Reading the numbers of runner beans they tell you can be planted in a sq ft its 9. What would you recommend for a trough that measures 22" by 10" and 10"deep. Thanks.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Bear

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 08:59 »
The way sq foot gardening works is by the block of space a plant needs - so if the recommendation for runners is 9 per sq ft, then they need 4 inch blocks - there are nine 4 inch blocks in a sq ft (3 x 3).

so if we work on 4 inch blocks then in your 22 inch length - you can have 5 plants. In the 10 inch width you can fit 2. With a couple of inches left over.

This means 10 runner plants in your bed. The depth should be fine.

Ruby Red

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 09:13 »
Thanks bear. That does seem an awful lot. I was only going to plant 4 in each one. lol Better get some more seeds on the go. Thats great thank you.  :D

xx
Raised beds, planting advice

Started by twee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 14:56
by compostqueen
xx
Fruit planting distances please

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 16:22
by Dominic
xx
French Beans - Planting distances

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 23:25
by John
xx
Asparagus distances and flower-planting

Started by VioletSky on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 14:31
by JayG

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 39 queries.