Ground cover for a shaded area...

• 6 Replies

Growster...

Ground cover for a shaded area...
« on: January 31, 2023, 09:29 »
Since the drought last year, most of the grass which is under the huge spread of a yew tree behind us, just didn't thrive again, and remains a bare area!

Also, when we let the dog out, she scampers up and down the area at a rate of knots, and churns it all up to make it even worse!

Please, can anyone suggest a suitable perennial evergreen ground cover, preferably with some colour and even flowers if possible, as it looks like I'll just wild the whole lot, which is what we did with the front garden! We don't mind some height, but not more than a couple of feet, as there are the raspberries adjoining, so I'll have to be able to get along there at some stage without bashing it all to bits!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Ground cover for a shaded area...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 10:31 »
I think you'd have to keep the dog off until the new plants are established, but I think these should cope after that.
Alchemilla Mollis
Sweet Woodruff,
Japanese primroses,
Pulmonarias - Blue Ensign is a pretty,
Perennial Geraniums,
Bergenias

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 12:27 »
Thank you so much, Mum - that is one heck of a list, and I'm going through it as we speak!

It would be nice to use the opportunity to 'wild' more of the garden, because it takes less time to weed, and also look OK for us - and the neighbours, hence some wild flowers as well!

Ladies Mantle works well elsewhere here, and I'll see if I can grow these from seed, as the plants are quite pricey, and the area is about 40sq.ft.! We manage to grow a whole lot of Pyracantha under the tree, and it seems to like it there, but with all those spikes...naaaah...

I sometimes wish the church hadn't planted the yew tree 600 years ago, but it's a bit late to complain now I guess...:0~

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 14:09 »
Bugle (aka Bugleweed) works:  https://www.thespruce.com/ajuga-or-bugleweed-plants-2132213

Also Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia)

When well-established, you can set the lawn mower blade up high and manage any growth or weeds that get too tall. After they are well-established, and spreading, I think both would tolerate traffic that qualifies as "knots".

Chrysogonum virginianum (Green and gold) is a spreading dwarf perennial, I think related to sunflowers.  It is native here, but I am not sure it is available there(?)  Also I think it would prefer traffic at sub-knot speed.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 12:59 »
Geranium macrorhyzum ( sp ) works well in front garden shaded part.  Tough as the proverbial.  Pinky white flowers and good ground cover

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 06:38 »
Thanks all, for these suggestions!

We've changed the game plan, and are going to bark the area all along the 'bare' bit, (around 12 sq.yd.), and allow the area to prosper with wild flowers which we started to grow in batches last year, and with some success!

There'll still be room for some of these shade-loving plants, which will change much of the aspect we see from the house, and the good thing, is that Lily will do the churning/weeding for us while she loses some of the pent-up energy she seems to build up every morning!

I think we've got a good deal on a big bag of the bark as it'll be delivered, so I'll do the barrowing when we get some Spring weather...

Thanks again anyway!

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 11:35 »
Lenten roses?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Ground cover

Started by greetwellboy on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 05:27
by greetwellboy
xx
ground cover plants

Started by davmabz on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 20:28
by Spana
xx
Ground cover ideas

Started by Flowertot on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2015, 13:46
by Flowertot
xx
ground cover plants?

Started by kentishgal on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 18:35
by Agatha

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 47 queries.