Raised beds

• 3 Replies

Ian.wilson

Raised beds
« on: May 07, 2020, 09:28 »
Hi all. I have just built three raised and on a hillside at the end of my garden and wondering if you think this will be big enough of a harvest to be worth while or do i need more room.

The empty top section will have corn squash and cucumber that are all doing great in the conservatory and will come out mid May.

All seeds have germinated well and were planted mid April under a small polly that i made for each bed. Plants are doing great but worried the area is too small . The bottom two sections have peas toms, beets, onions, leeks, spinach, raddish carrots, and parsnips.

The beds are all abou 800mm deep

All advise would be welcome
20200507_085647_resized_1.jpg
20200507_085647_resized_1.jpg
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 09:32 by Ian.wilson »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Raised beds
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 09:38 »
Welcome to the forum  :)

That's an impressive construction, well done  :D

I think you may struggle to get all of those plants into the space you've got, particularly if you want to have sufficient spacing between the taller plants to allow sun to get to all plants and for harvest.

You may want to consider planting the cucumber, tomatoes, spinach in pots if you have them.  Would that be feasible?

Have you double checked that it will be frost-free by mid-May?  It's the start of June here in N Yorkshire, but you may have a milder climate.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ian.wilson

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 09:45 »
Thanks Yorkie. I have been reading that very thing today and looks like your right about the start of June.

The planting area would have been doubled by adding three more raised beds on the right hand side but with the lockdown i couldn't get any materials. I could definitely grow the cucumbers in pots and didnt realise you could so that will free up dome space - thanks for the tip.
My spuds are in some of the large ikea blue bags at the back. And hopefully they keep enough light out

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 10:04 »
You could also have a look at Square foot gardening - it's an approach to growing stuff in a small space.  There may still be some posts on the forum, but also using a search engine will give you some ideas.

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Raised Beds

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 17:42
by Ice
xx
What should I do with my raised beds?

Started by logi06 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 17, 2016, 17:44
by Yorkie
xx
Raised Beds

Started by oggy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 14, 2006, 18:42
by John

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 35 queries.