Raised beds - advice on soil/compost

• 4 Replies

hammers07

Raised beds - advice on soil/compost
« on: March 17, 2016, 21:00 »
Hi all , not been on here for a long while due to ill health (bad asthma ) but a lot better again now and ready to return to the allotment. I have been able to keep the allotment weed free by clearing and covering with weed control fabric since last September. I am going to use raise beds as cannot really dig over the whole plot. I have the beds ready to put down but have a couple of questions.

1. Can I leave the weed control fabric on the base or should I cut away?

2. As I am going to have trouble digging and moving soil to fill the beds then what is the best mixture to fill the beds with?
A slug is for life not just for the allotment

Lardman

Re: Raised beds - advice on soil/compost
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 21:46 »
It will be more effort to cart the stuff to fill the beds than it would be to dig.

If you want minimal effort (and who doesn't) leave the fabric in place, make a low raised bed (6" gravel boards) cut the membrane from inside of the bed out and fluff up the soil, you should get 4" out of it - job done. You can always cut slots the in membrane and plant squash and other training plants to cover the membrane whilst you make beds or move manure/compost and a leisurely pace.

hammers07

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 21:54 »
Digging easily will depend on how compact the soil is underneath the fabric I suppose.i will give it a go. Farmyard manure or compost to assist growing ?

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 22:14 »
Digging easily will depend on how compact the soil is underneath the fabric I suppose.i will give it a go. Farmyard manure or compost to assist growing ?

I just fork over the top 6" of my beds each season after add spent compost, I haven't dug them over properly for years.

Everything is better with pooh  :lol:

It can be a heavy to move, especially if you don't have a site delivery. Compost will give you bulk but add little in the way of nutrients.  If you're not growing spuds or anything early you could probably (just) get away with a green manure sowing to help add material to the soil.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 09:43 »
It will be more effort to cart the stuff to fill the beds than it would be to dig.

If you want minimal effort (and who doesn't) leave the fabric in place, make a low raised bed (6" gravel boards) cut the membrane from inside of the bed out and fluff up the soil, you should get 4" out of it - job done. You can always cut slots the in membrane and plant squash and other training plants to cover the membrane whilst you make beds or move manure/compost and a leisurely pace.

This is exactly how we installed the raised beds on our first plot. Having removed bucketsful of stones from each as well, we were left with what looked like sunken beds within the framework. The first year we concentrated on adding manure to the potato beds only, and then each year in turn the next bed along the rotation got it. Hoe made compost and leaf mould takes time to make and be ready, but no it is  the beds are top dressed each Autumn. The level has built up nicely now.

If you feel you must add something now, go for bagged top soil rather then multi purpose compost, or if the soil is too lumpy for seed sowing, prepare a drill and line with seed sowing compost to give them a chance.

Hope that helps
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
need some advice on old compost in raised beds??

Started by mollie15 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 28, 2011, 10:05
by mollie15
xx
Soil in raised beds

Started by gwltabb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 17:39
by gwltabb
xx
top soil for raised beds

Started by gidster on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 23:01
by Robin Redbreast
xx
Top soil for raised veg beds

Started by Pavlodge on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 29, 2013, 17:37
by Jamrock

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 36 queries.