Stuck on the nitty gritty..

• 3 Replies

Rusticus

Stuck on the nitty gritty..
« on: October 16, 2009, 10:34 »
Hi everyone
I've had my allotment about a year now and it's been the very hard work and the most rewarding experience (even the blighted tomatoes couldn't dampen my pleasure) that you all know. I've dropped in to the site from time to time and love reading what you're all doing but not had too much spare time. You are all so friendly and helpful that I'm going to begin with a help cry!
I have a precious week off work and want (need) to build a fruit cage. I know the principles - uprights, door, netting, etc. but have to ask for advice about the nitty gritty basics - like, I have the uprights and they need to go into the ground... please, how? stupid question I'm sure but... so I get a ladder, and a big sledge hammer? Do I dig a hole and fill it with rubble around the pole (no cementing allowed) or do I just blast it with the hammer into the earth and hope I don't meet a boulder on the way down - and if I do, what then? Or am I thinking completely along the wrong lines?
Any advice would be hugely appreciated
Thanks so much

kloggs

Re: Stuck on the nitty gritty..
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:57 »
Hi Rusticus, I have always found a good crowbar very useful, just plunge it into the ground several times and wiggle it about a bit this makes quite a good hole, also dont forget to give the post some treatment with a preservative if only around the bottom. All the best      kloggs. :D
If a jobs worth doing etc. etc.

Leedsniner

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 06:49 »
You can also buy post holders from gardening shops - a long metal spike with a box on to hold the pole.

Rusticus

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 11:01 »
Thanks kloggs and leedsniner - brilliant! think I'll do a combination of both - holders for the corner posts and the crowbar technique for the others. Much prefer hammering in from ground level than on top of a ladder!
Thank you!

xx
Help please... am stuck moving greenhouse!

Started by missycat on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 06:53
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 38 queries.