Carrots

• 10 Replies

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
Carrots
« on: May 04, 2010, 12:41 »
 I have read a lot about Carrots & the problem with carrot root fly. It seems the little blighters have trouble flying above 2 foot high so I have had a think.

Here is my new super duper all improved carrot growing mechanism, also known as my Carrot Table. It is just 5 old pallets stacked on top of one another with some old recycling tubs on top which hold 70 litres of compost each. I figure that they should be well above the fly's flight path but just to make sure I am going to fleece them tommorow.

This is probably not a new idea but I am kinda proud of it.

Modify - the back left tub has my leeks in it at the moment.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 15:33 by DD. »
I generaly just stick things in the ground green side up.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Carrot's
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:56 »
Great idea, although being a compulsive experimenter I'd be leaving one of the containers unprotected to see if it actually works (the only carrots I grow are in a 2'6" chimney pot and the technique almost works perfectly!)

(Glad to see I'm not the only one whose leeks look more like grass seedlings at the moment!)  ::)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 13:00 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 13:39 »
Are they just storage boxes with holes drilled? You must keep us posted to see if it works because even I could stack a few pallets..........surely???  ???

I've just sowed my carrots in a 2 foot bed and will wrap some fleece up around the sides and cross my fingers.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 14:50 »
Glad to see the Sheffield council tax payer is willing to supply boxes. At least you will be able to re-cycle the old compost and carrot tops afterwards.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 14:58 »
Glad to see the Sheffield council tax payer is willing to supply boxes. At least you will be able to re-cycle the old compost and carrot tops afterwards.

Think it's Harlow council Salmo (no such generosity from Sheffield City Council - not yet anyway!)  ::)

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 17:32 »

Think it's Harlow council Salmo (no such generosity from Sheffield City Council - not yet anyway!)  ::)

Correct. The box's are what we used to have before we wheere forced to use wheelie bins. I just went round the neighbours & asked if they had spares.

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 19:45 »
Great idea, although being a compulsive experimenter I'd be leaving one of the containers unprotected to see if it actually works

Not a bad idea that, think I may try it.

prakash_mib

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 21:13 »
What if they can read  :lol: . change the labels to onions wink wink.
sorry its the beer!
otherwise great idea. Although I cant buy the fact that carrot fly cant fly over 2 feet. But cant they climb over 2 feet?
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 23:59 »
Looks fab!
I'm going to see what recycling boxes I can purloin. I'm sure we've got 3 ourselves as we kept adding to them before we realised what we really needed was a blue bin!
We don't get bins forced on us... but the boxes were never big enough so I ended up buying another box, another box and eventually caved in and paid out another £15 for the blue bin...
 :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 00:01 by PennyS »
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 11:11 »
 Ok, I have fleeced two box's & left one au-natural as a control.

Fingers crossed.

Digger Tom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 12:38 »
 Ok here is an update on the experiment.

All the carrots are growing although the ones under fleece seem to be fairing a bit better than the undovered ones. Probably becuase the fleece is keeping them a tiny bit warmer.

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Help please, something on my carrots....

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 10:54
by mickeyboy
xx
carrots outside

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 09:12
by JayG
xx
Carrots from down under

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 08:00
by DD.

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 40 queries.