What breed do i need?

• 2 Replies

gavin9900

What breed do i need?
« on: March 23, 2009, 20:58 »
Hi all,

I will soon be building a coop and run for the allotment and would like some help regarding which chickens to buy. I will only be needing layers for now and would like 3-4, but being new to this sort of thing i want them to be a pretty hardy bunch (if there is such a breed) to ease me in.
Is there such a thing as an easy to care for, hardy chicken breed for beginners that will still provide a steady number of eggs?

Many thanks
Gav.

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: What breed do i need?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 21:09 »
most hybrids are hardy and easy with lots of eggs, that's a good thing!

i chose mine by doing a lot of googling (and then had to go with a choice of what the farm had when i went....)

we all have our favourites, so at the end of the day, it'll be the breed that you think looks most like a chicken!

(mine are Bovans Nera and silverlink (which in turn is practically the same as an amberlink))

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: What breed do i need?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 21:19 »
Like Andreadon says, most of the hybrids are ideal for the beginner.  Although they were bred origially for the commercial farms, lots of people now want chickens in the garden, and the hybrids are a lot cheaper than pure breeds, so I'm not being funny, but if things don't work out for any reason, then you haven't wasted oodles of money on some expensive but pretty chicken.

I rear Amberlinks (white with browny flecks), Goldlines (lightish brown with white rear ends) and Babcocks (darker brown like the Rhode Island Reds, usually with a black tail, but some of ours have white tails).  Of all of them, we found the Babcocks to be the most laid back of the lot, and everyone who has had them has agreed. 

but they all lay really well for their first couple of years.  also like andreadon says, it's up to you what you think would look nice in your garden!!

The reason we got Amberlinks in the first place was because I thought it would be nice that when people want chickens in their gardens, if they had say a white one, a black one and a brown one, they would be mush easier to tell apart, especialy for the children, but I like the look of the bluebelles too!!!! :)

xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy
xx
To breed or not to breed?

Started by Silkysmooth on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 16:56
by joyfull
xx
WHAT BREED AM I?

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 21, 2007, 22:28
by 02rlgudgin
xx
what breed

Started by monarch on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 07, 2009, 03:29
by nnbreeder

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 35 queries.