Sleeping outside

• 6 Replies

jaws

Sleeping outside
« on: April 10, 2012, 22:57 »
This morning when I went to my chickens I noticed they were all soggy wet. They have a coop in a fox proof run plus access to a portion of the garden when I let them out. I don't close the pop hole except when it is very cold so they can get out to the feed and scratching area as early as they want. I was a bit late going to close the gate on the fox proof run tonight so it was dark. I found all three chickens sleeping/roosting ouside in corners of the pen rather than in the coop - this is probably how they got so wet last night. I picked them up and put them in the coop - and I did close the pop hole. They had layed an egg each in the coop during the day.
Can anyone explaine why they had chosen to sleep out side? ???
Thanks

grinling

Re: Sleeping outside
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 23:09 »
Have a look for red mite under the roosting bars as that might stop them.

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 23:10 »
Have you checked for red mite in the coop or lice on the chooks themselves? Red mite is a really common reason for them not to go into their coop at night. I've never known lice to cause the same issue as the red mite only attack at night, causing the chooks to associate the coop with the mites, whereas lice live on them so they generally feel uncomfortable wherever they are.

If you do find red mite, best stuff I found was washing out the coop thoroughly with poultry shield, and the regular (and continued) use of diatamaceous earth (diatom powder) in their nest box, rubbed under the perches and into the ends of the perches, and brushed into every crevice of the coop. Also sprinkled into any shavings you may have under their perches, and also on the chooks themselves (vent area, underside, under wings - careful of eyes and beaks). Once I had lice and managed to get rid of them with the Poultry Shield, I never got them back whilst using diatom powder.

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 23:11 »
Grinling - beat me to it  ::)

jaws

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 23:28 »
Thanks - I will look for red mite and get some treatments for them if I find any. Do I remember that you rarely see red mite during the day so best to sneak out at night with a torch to find them? Do I look for anything on the chickens themselves - such as red rashes on their legs or something?

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 23:48 »
Nothing really obvious to see on your chooks if it's only just started, but I've heard you get grey dust from the mites in the corners and cracks of the coop where they're likely to live. They come out of their cover at night to feed on the chooks, then go back to their crevice once full. To be honest, I've never seen the grey powder, but if your perches are a snug fit where their ends meet the coop wall then removing the perch and checking their would be my first bet. Literally though, they can be everywhere and anywhere in the coop, but they hide in crevices. I've had them twice as we have loads of wild birds nesting here - I have taken the coop totally apart when treating it. The fist time I used two washes of jeyes fluid, which is when I turned to poultry shield.

One more thing you can do is grease the ends of your perches with Vaseline - the mites will get stuck in it :) Let us know how you get on.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 20:46 »
slide a white piece of paper into any nooks and crannies in your coop and if you have redmite your paper will be smeared red. Another place they often lurk is in the part of a door near the hinges. If you find them then thoroughly cleaning and treating every week will be necessary. At their worse they can kill a broody hen or a young or weak hen  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
sleeping out

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 22:57
by jo40
xx
How do I get them all sleeping together?

Started by Carla on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 09:39
by Carla
xx
Sleeping on the roof

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 21:45
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Why are my new girls sleeping out?

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 15:08
by joyfull

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 39 queries.